Published on March 25th, 2014 | by Rima J Pundir
We use them so many times a day, to do many things – and yet, we don’t do enough for them – our hands!
One of the most visible parts of you are your hands – they hold, protect, cherish, caress, give comfort but they also take a lot of abuse. The most expensive lotions and creams are reserved for our face, hands are often just dabbed, that too as an afterthought, with some body lotion… But hands, having thicker skin than your body, need specialized creams and care for them to look as young as your face. Here are a few everyday TLC tips for them…
- Dishwater darling: Doing the dishes? Doesn’t mean your dishwater can’t help! How? Add a little almond oil (about a teaspoon) to dishwater. The water will soften rough skin while the oil seals in the moisture.
- Scrub-a-dub-a-dub: Need a really exfoliating action? Use a solution made of salt and some lemon juice – this coarse abrasive will remove dead skin cells superfast and remove any pigmentation but can also leave hands dry. Moisturise with thick hand cream thereafter.
- Honey loving care: Wash hands thoroughly with warm soapy water and exfoliate with a pumice or even a rough washcloth. Wring dry and then apply a mixture of one teaspoon honey and one teaspoon olive oil. Slip on some old cotton gloves or even plastic gloves – the heat makes the hydration permeate well and then just wash off with water, Pat dry for ealyy softened hands.
- Milky way: Warm a cup of milk till its warm but comfortable to the touch. Soak your hands in for five minutes to strengthen nails and hydrate skin. Milk loaded with lactic acid, a natural alpha hydroxy acid that gently exfoliates dead skin, and its high calcium content will strengthen fragile nails.
FAB BAG PICKS products that will keep your hands soft and nails pretty
- Max Factor Nailfinity Mini Nail Polish: Need some tough love nail polish? There’s no excuse for chipped or flaked nail colour anymore. This one clings to your nails giving a lustrous, freshly applied look day after day, no matter what life throws at you. CLICK HERE to view this product
- Figs & Rouge Aloe and Mint Balm: If you’ve been looking for a great multitasking product, voila! This one’s probably the greatest multitasking product to ever feature on the international beauty box scene – Figs & Rouge Aloe and Mint Balm. Perfect cuticles that go haywire and skin that itches and burns dues to dryness. And best of all, it’s 100% natural, organic and petroleum free – no restrictions on how many times you can use it! CLICK HERE to view this product
- Mary Kay Extra Emollient Night Cream: Helps maintain the natural moisture of the skin and replenishes hydration in very dry areas – excellent for dry patches, especially on hands, elbows and feet. Suitable for all skin types and is non-comedogenic (will not clog pores). CLICK HERE to view this product