Published on April 1st, 2014 | by Ahana Basu
TIPS & TRICKS: Luxe Lashes
All of us want them, but it’s rare that we do much towards attaining lush lashes other than reaching for that mascara. Here are some tips, and tricks to try…
Long, lush eyelashes are sort of like the love affair you never had because you were convinced the guy just wouldn’t be into you. However, there are ways and means, both artificial and natural in which you can enhance your lashes (if not get the guy!) and give them full power… So, here are the top tricks you could use.
- Oil is well: Olive oil and castor oil have been shown to thicken lashes if used regularly. Keep a mixture of the oils handy, or use either of them individually. The thinnest of your make-up brushes will come in handy as an applicator. Gently brush your eyelashes from the base to the tip. Brush the lashes several times, and then lightly pat them with a tissue or cloth to remove excess oil. Leave the oil on overnight and wash it off in the morning.
- Jelly bean: If grandmothers are to be believed, petroleum jelly works wonders on the lashes. Your favourite tub of Vaseline will come in very useful here. Use your ring finger and apply a thin layer on your lashes. Leave on overnight and wash off in the morning.
- Curl twirl: Curling your eyelashes gives them a fuller, more luscious look. Position an eyelash curler as close to the roots of your lashes as possible without pinching your skin. Clamp down gently, and hold in place for a few seconds. Move the curler a little farther out, and very lightly press again. Repeat once or twice more, each time moving the curler till almost the end.
- Pop em up: Mascara is a surefire way to primp up your lashes. For an eye-popping look, hold the wand so it’s vertical, and swipe it across your lower lashes, from the inner corner to the outer corner. Loreal Paris Double Extension Renewal Serum Inside Mascara is a great buy as it contains Arginine which promotes growth of youreyelashes. After each coat of mascara, brush the top quarter of your lashes with an eyelash comb. This creates a feathery look.
- Get in line: Use an eyeliner color that’s a little darker than your natural eyelash color. This will create the illusion of thicker eyelashes. You can also use black eyeshadow into the root of the lashes of the upper eyelid. This will give the illusion of a dark lash line. Another trick is to subtly extend the line at the outer corners of your eyes, it will make your eyelashes look longer.
- Air it out: While we love eye makeup, it’s also important to let our lashes get some air. Use mascara and eyeliners less frequently. If you’re one of those people who can’t live without their kajal stick, make sure you wash it off as soon as you get home.
- Get ‘eat’ right: As with all beauty regimes, the diet is of primary importance. Include more silicon sources in your diet. Silicon is a trace element that promotes hair growth and it can’t hurt you to improve your nutrient intake. Sources of silicon include asparagus, cabbage, cucumbers, olives, green beans, beer (yay!), rice, and oats.
- Invest in a good eye makeup cleaner: Don’t skip out on removing your makeup at night – particularly your mascara. Mascara coats the lashes and dries them out, making them more likely to split and break during your nightly tossing and turning. Also, don’t aggressively rub your eyelids and lashes with your eye makeup remover. Aside from irritating the delicate, thin skin under the eyes, you’re also tearing out your eyelashes!
Some products we love to get those perfect eyes:
MUA MEGA VOLUME: This is the perfect mascara to add length with the first application and glamorous volume with the second. And by using the waterproof shade for those cold windy and rainy mornings will guarantee you long lasting full lashes without smearing! CLICK HERE to view this product
MAX FACTOR MASTERPIECE MAX HIGH VOLUME & DEFINITION MASCARA: One swipe of its high tech IFX brush gives a chic, catwalk finish in seconds – no wonder it was the official mascara of Milan Fashion Week. EXPERT TIP: Such striking lashes look best with simple, groomed make-up. CLICK HERE to view this product
FLORELLE TRUE KHOL PENCIL: Who doesn’t need a great kohl pencil? The True Khol Pencils, made in Milan, are bestsellers across 35 countries in Europe and are from the house of the Swiss brand, Florelle. Made with very soft lead, the pencils do not get crushed even on rough ase. CLICK HERE to view this product