Published on May 23rd, 2014 | by Neharika Sabharwal
The key to wearing Red Lipstick – Find out today!
Said actress Gwyneth Paltrow, “Beauty, to me, is about being comfortable in your own skin. That, or a kick-ass red lipstick!” and it inspired a revolution in the woman world to stain their lips crimson.
Don’t be surprised when we say women need confidence to wear red. It isn’t easy to draw these red lines. Red is a bold colour choice and a lot of women find it difficult to find the right shade or feel that it feathers badly needing them to check their lipstick all day. Also if one is a make-up novice, red automatically makes us feel that we’re wearing too much war paint. One thing is an undeniable fact about the colour red, if not applied correctly; it can easily look overdone or cheap. Now the key to wearing red is to remember that your lips are the stand out feature of your look. Everything else needs to be neutral, so no heavy eye makeup or blush. Clean face, groomed eyebrows, light makeup including a whip of champagne eye-shadow or a soft bronzer on the cheeks is your best foot forward here.
Fire engine red!
Brush off your hesitations about scarlet lips because we give you a step by step guide on creating the perfect red pout.
- To make any colour last, the skin on your lips needs to be smooth. A lipstick never looks nice on cracked lips. Start by exfoliating with an old toothbrush or a lip scrub. Then apply lip balm generously onto the lips for a softer feel.
- The next step is to create a base for your red lips. Apply your concealer on the lips and in the cracks, if any and blend it well. You can also use foundation to create the perfect matt effect for your red.
- As sexy as it may be to watch a woman apply her lipstick directly, you will need to use a brush because with such a dramatic colour, there is just too strong a chance of failure. Take special care to avoid going outside the lip line. You can also use a lip liner, but make sure the shade you choose is the same as your lipstick or at most, a shade lighter.
- Finally, do it like the professionals. Moisten the lip brush and take a bit of red lipstick on it and begin filling in the colour. Using a brush for lipstick application is the best way of lipstick application.
- To finish, smudge both the lips for a proper finish and blot excess onto a tissue paper or a paper napkin.
- An additional step to oomph your glam factor is to wear gloss over your red lips. The step is optional but highly recommended for a softer, sheerer look. If you are looking at red lips with wearability, fill in your entire lip with a nude liner and then follow with a red gloss. This is one way to avoid notice of any lining mistakes. Use a hint of clear gloss in the center of your bottom lip even if you prefer the matte look. This little trick will make your lips look fuller.
One last tip is with regard to colour. Note that light to medium skins look best in cooler reds while medium to dark skin tones look better in warmer reds. If you want some extra drama, reverse this colour code. Bricks and wines are a more neutral version of the classic red lip and are more user-friendly. Crimson lips are also quite hot this season. Again, remember these colors also should be paired with a clean face and not too much makeup.
FAB Red Lipsticks we love:
- TOMMY G DUAL LIPSTICK: Use this dual lipstick from Greece’s biggest cosmetics group to discover the deepest pigmented, long lasting product you’d have ever tried. CLICK HERE to view this product.
- NYX BLACK LABEL LIPSTICK: A creamy, dreamy lipstick with a velvety smooth finish and hyper-glamorous shades for every look and every inclination. CLICK here to view this product
- NYX SOFT MATTE LIP CREAM: Neither lipstick nor lip gloss-this matte lip cream, is a new kind of pout paint that is silky smooth and sets to a matte finish. CLICK HERE to view this product