Published on July 16th, 2014 | by Rima J Pundir
All that you need to get the right lip-stick!
Eeny, meeny, miny, moe? If that’s the way you buy a “kind” of lipstick, you’re just doing it so wrong!
Your mom will tell you, beauty shelves today are loaded with too much to choose from. It was easy just a few years ago – the “lipstick” was just that, a stick to paint your lips with. But what goes onto your lips is not just a stick – try stains, glosses, pencils, or balms and so much more… Here’s some good-to-know products before you buy the entire bandwagon, or end up missing out on good stuff!
- Matte lipsticks: In stick or tablet form, matte lipsticks are opaque, long-lasting and have a more “lived-in” feel. They generally suit women with a large mouth or full lips. Tip: Coat lips with a lip balm to form a moist base since matte lipsticks are often dry in texture.
- Frost or Shimmer Lipsticks: In stick or tablet form, these suit rosebud lips or thin lips the best as they create a shimmery illusion of fullness. Tip: You can layer them over matte colours for more long-lasting colour.
- Liquid lipsticks: Liquid lipsticks are just that – lipsticks in a liquid form, often containing more of oil than wax to keep them in a liquid state. They have different types of applicators: some have a brush-like applicator, some a sponge tip, and a few have a jotter-type press applicator. Best for women who like to repair their make-up frequently. Tip: To stop them from bleeding, line lips with a lip-coloured liner beforehand.
- Lip glosses: These can be with colour or without – the idea is to add shine for a more youthful appeal. Particularly handy for day make-up, lip glosses also come paired with lipsticks (liquid or stick) for added colour build-up.
- Lip stains: These have quite a bit of pigment but barely any wax or oil, so as to have a deliberately uneven application for a bee-stung look. You have to get the look right to carry these; keep them for weekend day outs with him, or your friends. Looks good at a party too.
- Tinted Lip Balm: Very little pigment, and a lot of beeswax – the idea is to keep the lips moisturised with just a hint of colour.
- Lip Crayons/Pencils/Liners: These three products are often confused and even brands don’t define or name the products correctly. However, each has a specific function, depending on its textures.
- Crayon: Though they look like lip pencils, they’re silkier, more malleable and can be used instead of lipsticks.
- Pencil: They look like regular pencils, can be sharpened, allow greater definition in sculpting the lips and are versatile with both sheer and thick application. The tip of these pencils is less fragile than the crayons because of their higher wax content.
- Liner: The pigment here is thick, and checks bleeding of runnier colours. A lip liner could either be in pencil form, or as a retractable pen.
Fab lipsticks we love:
1) FLORMAR DELUXE SHINE GLOSS LIPSTICK: Flormar’s Deluxe Stylo lipstick is the best tool for a shiny and glamorous pout. Its super formula enriched with the much acclaimed Argan oil, Vitamin E, Omega 6 and cacao butter – makes it ultra-hydrating and nourishing while the colour really makes a statement. CLICK HERE to view this product
2) MAX FACTOR LASTING COLOUR COLLECTIONS LIPSTICK: Whether your skin’s fair, medium or dark, it’s time to say goodbye to that lipstick graveyard in your dressing table for good! No matter what your skin tone, our Lasting Colour Collections Lipstick range has a shade for you. CLICK HERE to view this product
3) NYX BLACK LABEL LIPSTICK: A creamy, dreamy lipstick with a velvety smooth finish and hyper-glamorous shades for every look and every inclination. NYX’s Black Label Lipstick has rich emollient properties that ensure that the color glides on and envelops your pout at the same time. CLICK HERE to view this product