Published on August 16th, 2014 | by Rima J Pundir
Play dress up with your nails – Here’s how!
Beauty trends come and go so here’s a quick mood-lifter that may come in handy any time!
Matte red lips, braided hair, a peachy blush – beauty trends come and go with the speed of light – but we do retain our favourites as eternal pick-me-ups. Of course, as always, the trends tend to repeat themselves after a 20-year-cycle with a few changes here and there – your mom’s bright red lipstick may have been in frost, yours is matte. French plaits were the name of the game decades ago, while today it’s the fishtail that’s doing rounds in celebrity manes.
With so much to do and dress-up, why should nails be any different? From Bollywood to Hollywood, ramp to Broadway and from the best of salons to DIY time at your home – dressing up nails in the latest trends is fun and a great way to pass away that extra half an hour of ‘me’ time…
Trend 1: Go gradient with ombre
One ombre is to have shaded hues on a single nail – much time consuming and a little hard achieve – this is best left to experts! We suggest you try the ‘shaded nails’ beginning thumb to little finger – go lighter each nail as you progress. One way is to purchase the five shades – if pink is your poison – then go with fuchsia on the thumb and shell pink on the little finger, stepping down a shade or hue per finger.
1. One nail polish in the colour you want + white nail polish. Open up the polish and keep an extra brush handy to paint your nails.
2. Do switch off the fan and try not to work with speed-dry nail enamel – else you’ll end up with too-thick-to-apply polish.
3. Take an old plastic tray and drop four drops of white nail polish on it at equal distances.
4. Now take your colour and add a small drop on the first white drop, gradually going bigger with each drop to ‘darken’ the shades.
5. Take the extra nail brush and mix the ‘lightest’ shade well – with the smallest colour drop. Apply this on your little finger.
6. Do the same with all the other three fingers – going darker on each nail.
7. Now lastly, paint your thumbnail with the colour itself.
8. There it is – the cheat guide to ombre nails. For an extra coat, mix a little acetone in each of the four ‘palettes’ to thin it out a bit and then reapply.
Trend 2: The French way, in bold hues
Reverse French Manicures are bold and striking and do paint a pretty picture – from indigos and whites to the blacks and beiges – going bold with colour and imaginative with contrast can certainly make you the it-girl at parties.
Trend 3: Go Crazy
Aka Rihanna with the ‘smileys’ on her nails, or Lady Gaga with witchy talons, or simply just about any design or pattern you can think can set off a new trend, without you even realizing it. If nothing else with Independence Day around the corner, try the tricolor band to show your patriotism, with a ‘cool’ touch!
Brands we love:
- NYX NAIL POLISH SALON FORMULA: These exceptional nail polishes come in brilliant on-trend colors including 10 nail treatments that will make it seem like you just received a fresh manicure and pedicure from a professional salon. CLICK HERE to view this product.
- SALLY HANSEN DIAMOND STRENGTH NO CHIP NAIL COLOR: The best just got better. This new, advanced formula now has platinum and real micro-diamonds for superior strength, shine and wear. CLICK HERE to view this product
- NATIO NAIL COLOUR: Discover a natural understated take on shimmers with delicately glistening varnishes offering a wearable, glamorous and distinctly contemporary manicure. CLICK HERE to view this product