Published on September 2nd, 2014 | by Neharika Sabharwal
Keep that pout plush – here’s how!
Pop Quiz: What is the one asset every woman possesses that can instantly get a man’s heart racing? Purge those kinky thoughts, because the answer is your lips. Apparently research shows that when we meet a guy, the first thing he gets fixated about is our lips. Hard to believe, we know! Now that you are aware of this little secret, it’s absolutely essential to keep your lips pucker ready at all times. But before you rush to the store to scoop that fiery scarlet lip colour, understand that painting your lips is not the only thing it takes to boast of a sexy pout. You need to constantly care for your lips and protect them from dryness, cracking, chapping and sun damage.
Care for your smackers begins essentially by realising certain facts about your lips. They are composed of very thin layers of skin which makes them the most vulnerable part of your face. Also lips don’t have any oil glands to naturally hydrate themselves. Drying winters, low humidity, smoking and our instinct to lick our lips cause them to lose moisture resulting in splits and chaps and don’t leave a lot to smile about.
Lips don’t lie
The thing with chapped lips is that, unlike troubled skin, you cannot conceal it. Use any product on cracked lips and it will just make it more prominent. But don’t fret because combating this problem is super easy and most of the remedies for its cure are sitting in our kitchen cabinets. Check out a couple of them below.
- Purified Butter aka Ghee: The most natural form of lip balm that ever existed. Just slather a layer before hitting the sack and see the difference in the morning. Coconut oil is also equally effective.
- Black Tea: Dip black tea bags in boiling water. Once the bags are lukewarm, press them over your lips to dramatically increase its moisture levels.
- Honey and Aloe Vera: Both have natural antibacterial elements. While aloe vera soothes and cools sun damaged lips, honey is perfect for moisturising and healing cracks and cuts on the lips. For quick relief, mix extra virgin olive oil with beeswax. Apply this paste for 10-15 minutes and remove it by using a cotton ball dipped in warm water.
- Vaseline + Toothbrush: Hard to get, we figure! Just slather on Vaseline on your lips and then using a soft toothbrush, gently rub in circular movements. Wipe the Vaseline off with a tissue for lips that are soft and colour ready!
Keep calm with some balm
Think of lip balm as a tinted, sweet smelling armour for your lips when it’s in the line of duty against the world. Lip balms are quick and easy to apply and work by sealing the moisture on your lips with its waxy or greasy content. The market is flooded with options so take your pick. Some lip balms that we recommends are:
- Avene High Protection SPF30 Lip Balm: With a light and no greasy texture, this lip balm is a must-try. Click here to view this product.
- Burt’s Bees Replenishing Lip Balm:Give your thirsty lips a whole lot of love with our lip balm with antioxidant-rich Pomegranate Oil. 100% natural, it happily hydrates and revitalizes your lips with a hint of color for an even, beautifully toned appearance. Click here to view this product
- ChapStick Classic Cherry: With 11 moisturizers, this lip balm softens and protects for smooth, silky lips every day. Helps heal and prevent dry, chapped lips. Comes in Sweet Cherry flavor. CLICK HERE to view this product
- The Body Shop Born Lippy Pomegrenate Stick Lip Balm (Rs. 345) is a great pick for its sweet smell and rosy tint.
- Kiehl’s Lip Balm SPF 15 (Rs 1,169) is non-flavoured and non-coloured and heals those chaps.
- L’Occitane Fluer Cherie Lip Balm (Rs 890) is beautifully scented and keeps that pucker soft and sweet!