Published on September 24th, 2014 | by Neharika Sabharwal
Pour some chocolate on your skin!
“What you see before you, my friend, is the result of a lifetime of chocolate.” – Katherine Hepburn. Whether it be endorphins or the cellulite-reduction, chocolate is the new blue-eyed gal in beauty!
You know it tingles your taste buds, tempts your senses and is a must have on bad days, but did you know that chocolate can also be the reason behind your gorgeous skin? The glory days of chocolate are back after a long stint of being blamed for weight gain and causing acne. You may not know this, but chocolate was originally intended for skincare, with the Aztecs using cocoa extracts for beauty rituals. Life comes full circle for this treat, as it becomes the gold star of the cosmetic world with brands lining up special ‘chocolate’ ranges.
What makes chocolate tick when it comes to beauty? It’s its primary ingredient, cocoa. Cocoa has high antioxidant properties that fight against free radicals making it a must-have in your anti-aging beauty arsenal. Besides helping you look young, it can also help your skin stay toned because caffeine is found within the cocoa bean shell which fights cellulite. Chocolate skin care products are great for nourishing the skin. Using body butters and creams with cocoa extracts ensures the skin is hydrated with vitamin E. It’s also great to relieve the itching and pain of dry skin and is an ideal sunburn treatment.
Eating and applying chocolate actually have similar effects. Chocolate contains serotonin (the happy hormone) and endorphins (the energy hormone) which beat stress. They also have magnesium and vitamin B1 that relax and soothe your senses. Recall the pleasure of biting into your favourite chocolate? Now imagine a similar pleasure calming all your senses when you use a chocolate scrub or cocoa body butter.
Whip up dark concoctions of yummy scrubs, packs and body butters in your own kitchen.
- Cocoa Body Scrub: You need: 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1/8 cup olive oil, 2-3 tbsp sweet almond oil. To Use: Gently mix all ingredients in bowl. Take it to your bathroom and after a quick shower – rub the scrub all over your skin, face included. Gently massage for 5-10 minutes and then rinse off.
- Chocolate Masque: You need – 1/3 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 cup of honey, 2 tablespoons of heavy cream (sour cream will work as well) and 3 teaspoons of oatmeal. To Use: Mix all the ingredients until you get an even consistency. Apply on the face and neck and leave on for about 20 minutes. To remove, gently massage off (so that oatmeal can start exfoliating the dead skin cell layer). Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Chocolate must haves in your beauty kit:
- The Nature’s Co. Chocolate Crème Body Wash: This one has excellent anti-aging, anti oxidative properties, which works wonders on your skin, reducing free radicals making it soft, younger and nourished. CLICK HERE to view this product
- Vert Lip Balm – Vit E Cocoa Butter: This Lip Balm moisturizes and helps protect delicate skin and soothe the discomfort of dry, chapped lips. Flavoured with chocolate, a delicious way to care for your lips. CLICK HERE to view this product
- Nyassa Belgian Chocolate Soap: 100% vegetarian, this rich soap removes all the impurities and is gentle on your skin. Plus plus is the Belgian Chocolate with skin softening properties. CLICK HERE to view this product