Published on January 23rd, 2015 | by Ahana Basu
DIY FACIAL: With products from your Jan Fab Bag
Need glowing skin but salons not your cup of tea – try a home facial with products from your January FAB BAG
Bored of salons, their ultra-expensive products and facial therapists who require appointments two weeks in advance? The truth is, a facial is meant to be a relaxing, rejuvenating experience, one that not only gives you good-looking skin, but an overall good feeling about yourself. So why not pamper your skin in the comfort of your own home! You get to decide where, when and how you want your pamper-time. Choose a time when you know for sure that you will be able to spare about 45 minutes to an hour for yourself. Decide on a place in the house where you will be able to have some quiet time. Get a comfortable chair to sit/recline on, play some nice easy music, maybe even light some scented candles. Hey, this is your time.
Bring it together
Organise everything you will need for the facial. There is nothing more annoying than having to get up with an inch-thick layer of gloop on your face to look for a towel. You’ll need:
- A hairband to hold back the hair from the face
- A small face towel and cotton pads to wipe off stuff
- Bioderma Sensibo H2O or Bioderma Sebium Gel Moussant
- SeaSoul Dead Sea Facial Mud Mask
- Splurge Daily Moisturiser with Sun Protection (UVA/UVB)
- Cucumber slices or cold tea bags to soothe your eyes
- An alarm for the duration of the face mask
- A moisturizing lotion or serum
- A bowl of hot water or a facial steamer
On the face of it…
Ideally, do your facial in the following steps – cleansing, exfoliation, massage, steaming, the mask and moisturising. In case you are short of time, you may forego the massage or the steam.
- Cleansing: Make sure your hands are clean when you start your facial. Pour BIODERMA SENSIBIO H20 in a cotton pad and wipe your face, neck and ears. Remove all makeup/ eye makeup. This dermatological micellar water is perfectly compatible with the skin. It effectively removes the dirt off your skin and cleanses it. If you prefer a cleanser, make sure it is well suited to your skin. In case you have acne prone skin,use the BIODERMA SEBIUM GEL MOUSSANT that you received in your January Fab Bag.
- Exfoliate: Your trusty scrub in a tube or anything abrasive – coffee grounds, sugar or even tea leaves mixed with a little cream or oil will do the trick. Scrub gently, avoiding the eye and lip area.
- Facial massage: This can be done with almond oil, olive oil, coconut oil or even cold cream. Massage with steady, light, upwards strokes, not harsh pulls or patting actions as the facial skin is very sensitive. Use each hand in a circular motion, moving outwards – never the other way around, using the tips of the fingers. This can be done for 5-6 minutes.
- Steaming: For dry skin, soak a small towel in hot water, wring out and cover parts of the face (leave out the eye area) for a few seconds. For oily skin, drop a few basil leaves in hot water in a bowl, cover your head with a towel and take the vapour, remembering to uncover after 30/40 seconds. Steaming can really dry the skin, hence should not be done for too long. Pat skin with ice water and gently wipe with a cotton pad to remove blackheads
- The mask: Choose a face mask carefully, according to skin type. The SEASOUL DEAD SEA FACIAL MUD MASK is suitable for dry and acne prone skin likewise. You can also try homemade ones. For dry skin, mix oatmeal, cream and honey, with any fruit pulp. Else gramflour, cream and rosewater with a pinch of turmeric powder will also do. For oily skin, try lemon juice, honey and basil paste or sandalwood powder mixed with rose water. Apply the face mask with a brush to cover the face and neck; leave out the eye and lip area. Put cucumber slices or cold tea bags on your eyes. Put the timer on for 10 or 15 minutes, sit back and relax. Calm your mind and feel the goodness of the mask. Wipe off mask gently with the face towel and warm water. Rinse off any traces of mask with cool water – this will close the pores of the skin. Pat dry your face with a clean towel or face tissues.
- Moisturise: Apply a coin sized amount of the SPLURGE DAILY MOISTURIZER WITH SUN PROTECTION (UVA/UVB) immediately while the face is still damp. Enriched with the goodness of Shea butter, Almond oil and Wheat germ, this moisturizer is light and non-greasy. It will let the freshly cleansed skin soak in the maximum amount of hydration.
- Time for makeup: Add a dash of colour to your face with your LAQA & CO. FAT LIP PENCIL. With a blend of healing oils an Vitamin E, it will provide long lasting moisture to your lips and a gorgeous colour.
Watch your face glow!
If you haven’t subscribed for FAB BAG, you should totally subscribe. Get it here