Published on March 13th, 2015 | by Ahana Basu
KITCHEN SECRETS: Say Tomato!
When you think tomatoes, several things come to mind. Beauty, however is not one of them, though it should be…
Ketchup, pasta, a salad with mozzarella cheese. Apart from looking great on a plate as well as a known fighter of cancer, this ripe, red, juicy fruit has many qualities to make you just that much more beautiful, both inside and out.
A recent study has shown that eating tomatoes protect us from sunburn. Tomatoes contain lycopene (that’s how they have their deep red colour). Lycopene fights toxins that break down the basic support structure of our skin and hair. So, having a tomato salad or some kind of tomato base in your diet keeps your skin better protected against those dreaded UV rays. While not a replacement for sunscreens, it doesn’t hurt to throw in a few tomatoes in your daily meals. Tests have also shown that tomatoes boost the production of collagen, those cells that keep your skin looking young and supple. If that wasn’t enough, eating a tomato a day, or a drinking a glass of tomato juice twice a day is said to help you lose weight. So, next time you find yourself reaching for a bag of chips, grab a tomato instead.
Under your skin
- Tomatoes can be used to cure nearly any skin problem and is one of the best remedies for blackheads. Simply slice a tomato and apply the slices around your nose. Leave on for 10-15 minutes, rinse off with warm water. Apply a light moisturiser afterwards.
- For lacklustre skin, try a pack of tomato paste and honey. Tomatoes are full of vitamins A and C that clear your skin and brighten it up. Leave the pack on for ten minutes and rinse off. This works well if you have dry skin as well.
- Tomato and avocado also makes for a great cleansing mask. You can use this twice a week, or if you’ve been out all day and your skin needs a pick-me-up.
- For acne-prone skin, you can use a daily mask of tomato pulp. This needs to left on for an hour, so if you don’t have the time to do it daily, 2-3 times a week will work. Mash a tomato, apply to the affected areas and leave on. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Hair it is
- Scientists don’t call the tomato a ‘superfood’ for nothing. Along with keeping your skin clear, tomatoes are good for the hair as well. Apply tomato juice or paste to your hair to maintain its pH balance and replenish moisture if it’s become brittle and dry.
- If you’ve got dandruff and nothing seems to work, apply tomato pulp to your scalp for 30 minutes and then wash off with shampoo.
- Tomato juice also removes hard-to-remove odours like smoke from your hair. Apply tomato juice to your hair, then shampoo it off.
With naturally made beauty products becoming more and more popular, tomatoes are very much in demand. Nina Ricci even has a perfume with a tomato heart – Les Belles Liberty Fizz.
So whether you say to-may-to or to-mah-to, we say you should get them in your beauty routine right away.
FAB BAG PICKS
Just Herbs Blemfree Anti Blemish Cream: Enhanced with skin lightening botanicals, this special formulation helps to fade darkened skin patches, sun spots and freckles. It prevents the process of melanin(brown skin pigment) formation and helps recover the normal physiology of the skin, giving you a flawless complexion. CLICK HERE to view product.
The Nature’s Co. Garlic Anti-Acne Cream: It’s a powerful detoxifier; Has antibacterial and antifungal properties which reduces acne drastically. Get healthy, acne-free skin with the power of nature. Garlic Anti-Acne Cream is a powerful detoxifier. Its antibacterial and antifungal properties help fight against acne by reducing it drastically. CLICK HERE to view product.
The Body Shop Vitamin C Microdermabrasion: Fine exfoliating micro particles and crushed garnet stones remove dead skin cells to reveal a brighter, more radiant complexion. Removes dead skin cells. Leaves skin feeling soft and smooth. Gives skin a brighter, more radiant look. Improves skin texture and tone. CLICK HERE to view product.