Published on March 22nd, 2015 | by Rima J Pundir
FAB BAG PICKS: Home Hair Spa
While the term hair spa may evoke images of you resting in a Jacuzzi with your hair being pampered by the best nature has to offer, it’s often anything but. Also salon massages frankly leave me with headache rather than restful-ness so the hair spa bit, I prefer to do at home.
Get it right:
- An oil massage: A good oil – be it olive, almond or even your grandma’s much admired coconut or mustard is key to it all. Warm the oil a little and then gently massage it onto your scalp and hair. If your hands don’t seem to do the trick, invest in a good massager brush – I like the Osim one.
- Next, dip a towel in steaming water and wring by twisting the dry ends. Wrap this towl on your hair turban style for 10-15 minutes. This opens up the pores on the scalp and the hair follicle to really absorb the oil.
- Now use a gentle shampoo and give your scalp a good foaming rinse. This will take off about 70-80% of the oil.
- Follow up with a good hair mask – for those of you who love your DIY home masks, a few are given below. But if you are more of a retail beautista, use one of your store bought hair masks/spa. Whatever your choice is, coat your hair liberally with it. Put on a shower cap and keep on for another 10-15 minutes.
- Shampoo, again with a gentle shampoo and then condition as usual for a far more manageable mane. Brush hair while still damp to get any residue off.
DIY hair masks:
- Damaged or ageing hair: Blend two bananas, one egg and one teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- Dry or coloured hair: Blend one banana, 1 cup papaya, two tablespoons almond or olive and splash of vinegar.
- For dandruff or itchy scalp: Blend two tablespoons gooseberry (amla) juice with one cup yoghurt and 1tablespoon sweet almond oil.
- For dull hair: Blend one cup coconut milk, two tablespoons honey and olive oil each.
FAB BAG PICKS
The Body Shop Rainforest Coconut Hair Oil: This luxuriously silky oil melts effortlessly into your hair creating the perfect overnight, leave-in, pre-wash treatment or the optimal nourishing accompaniment to scalp massage. Reveals hair that is strong, soft, and shiny with a healthy scalp. CLICK HERE to view product.
BioBloom Hair Cleanser – Hair Strengthening: This shampoo is made of Ginger Juice, Basil & Hibiscus which help improve blood circulation, providing nourishment to weak hair, effectively clean and nourish the hair from root to tip, making them shine with all its health. CLICK HERE to view product.
Kronokare Go A(Long) Way Growth Boosting Hair Oil: If you want to skip the long story, zoom in on the tip: use our growth boosting hair oil, made with pure extracts of sage, thyme and lime. This blend will add length to your hair in absolutely no-time. CLICK HERE to view product.