Published on April 11th, 2015 | by Gayatri Dahiya
TO BUY OR: Lip Plumpers
When asked if women could have one thing from Angelina Jolie’s life, the answer (surprisingly) was not Brad Pitt, but her world renowned pout! Here’s how to get yours…
We might be exaggerating a wee bit, but it is an oft-quoted statistic that one of the top choices for women looking for cosmetically-enhanced features is fuller lips ala Miss Jolie. Apart from being considered wildly sexy, and hugely turning-on, plump lips have since time immemorial been considered synonymous with uber femininity. But don’t inquire about those painful collagen injections just yet, try lip plumpers! As the name suggests, lip plumpers are cosmetic products used to enhance the appearance of your lips to look fuller. In fact, these provide a much more natural pout than most cosmetic procedures, and cost less than a fraction of the price! Plus it’s great to have a temporary pout when you may not want a permanent change.
How do these work?
Essentially, most lip plumpers contain certain ingredients (such as cinnamon, peppermint, cayenne pepper, or even slight amounts of camphor) that irritate the lips, causing them to swell (temporarily), and hence, creating the illusion of fuller lips. Alternatively, there are stronger treatment products, containing ingredients like alpha-hydroxy acids or retinol that are supposed to increase collagen production, or cause the size of the blood vessels to increase (increasing blood flow to the lips), to give you plumper lips over time.
Do they really work?
Yes and no! After years of experimenting with salt rub, toothbrush exfoliation, and several product trials later, we can safely say that yes – most lip plumpers will show slight changes resulting in (at least) slightly swollen lips. But, no – don’t expect a change along the lines of an injected pout, especially not in the first few times of usage. That said, some of the products we found actually do result in visibly fuller lips that last at least 4-6 hours without reapplication. Now, isn’t that worthy of consideration? We certainly think it is.
Which brands work?
We do find that the Indian market is largely deficient in offering a greater variety of lip plumping products, but here’s our tried-and-tested list of the best of what’s on offer:
- Bourjois Rose Exclusif Lip Gloss: Because the pH of your lips is unique, this lipgloss enriched with pH reactive pigments will self-adjust into a bespoke pink to suit your skin tone! Its non-sticky texture also brings shine and volume to your lips, as well as maximum comfort. CLICK HERE to view product
- I Love… Lip Shine: Fall in love again; there’s something about the super smoothness of my thick creamy aroma, united with a burst of fresh strawberries, that leaves your senses elated and taste-buds-a-tingling! Leaving your your lips super soft and glossy with a hint of shimmer. CLICK HERE to view product.
- Natio Smoothle Lip Colour: Sumptuous lip colour and conditioner in one ‘can do’ crayon, Smoothie Lip Colour Crayons deliver a quick slick of smooth, saturated colour. Available in eight mouth-watering shades ranging from soft neutrals to vivid colours. CLICK HERE to view product
- Peppermint/Cinammon Plump: Coat your lips with petroleum jelly and dab just a few drops of peppermint or cinnamon oil on your pout. Be warned – this will cause a tingly sensation, so do not try this on dry/irritated skin.
- Brush Lips Twice-a-Day: A simple technique that works to create a natural pout. Using a clean, rinsed toothbrush, very gently rub your lips in light circular strokes after brushing. The bristles will exfoliate your lips, and the mint-y essence of your toothpaste will induce plumpness. Be careful to not rub hard lest you damage the delicate skin.
- Salt-kissed Lips: While in the shower, rub a pinch of sea salt on your lips, leave on for 15-20 seconds, and wash off to reveal visibly cushier lips! I have been doing this for years, and still works like a charm.