Published on April 19th, 2015 | by Rima J Pundir
BEAUTY EATS: B for Beauty!
Thought vitamin B was only for energy? Think again!
The entire group of vitamin Bs are in fact key to keeping your skin and hair healthy. Vitamin B promotes improved skin functions, which include the replacement of dead cells with fresh new ones, as well as producing the natural oils that keeps your skin soft, supple and smooth.
While vitamin B is a water soluble vitamin, which means any excess of it flows out of your body via body fluids, it’s always advisable to take your doctor’s opinion before starting yourself on any pill-popping regimen. As much as you can, stick the natural sources of vitamin B found aplenty in nature.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): It prevents oxidation and neutralises free radicals, thus preventing premature aging. CONSUME: Brown rice, wheat germ, brewers yeast, oatmeal, soy beans, cashews
- Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): Is vital in the metabolic processes of the body which in turn renews all cells of the body – including the skin, keeping it young and revitalised. CONSUME: milk, eggs, enriched cereals/grains, meats, liver, green vegetables.
- Vitamin B3 (Niacin): Is essential for cell metabolism and the absorption of carbohydrates. This not only gives you energy but also sloughs of dead skin cells and forms new ones. CONSUME: tuna, chicken, wheat germ, brown rice and broccoli.
- Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid): Has anti-inflammatory properties, and accelerates lipid breakdown, thereby preventing the formation of acne. CONSUME: corn, eggs, cheese, meat, peanuts, broccoli and tomatoes.
- Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine): Used to treat seborrhoeic dermatitis (common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp or inside the ear.) CONSUME: whole grains, bread, liver, cereals, spinach and bananas.
- Vitamin B7 (Biotin): A vitamin for hair growth or as a treatment for alopecia. Also called Vitamin H because of the health benefits biotin is thought to provide to skin, nails, and especially hair. CONSUME: cereals, fruits, vegetable, eggs and cheese
- Vitamin B9 (Folic acid): Is essential for the formation maturation and multiplication of red blood cells (the pregnancy vitamin!). It is essential for the health of the skin and hair, and helps to prevent premature greying of the hair. CONSUME: asparagus, spinach, brussels sprouts, broccoli, liver and orange juice.
- Vitamin B12 (Cobalamin): Speeds up metabolism and boost energy levels; as well as cell renewal (skin). CONSUME: chicken, eggs, yogurt, milk and cereal.
Try a vitamin-B enriched face mask: Add 1tbsp brewer’s yeast to ½ cup yogurt, stir and refrigerate overnight. Mix in 1tbsp honey and then apply mask on in heavy layers and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water and then splash on cold water for instant glow!
FAB BAG PICKS
The Body Shop Vitamin C Microdermabrasion: Fine exfoliating micro particles and crushed garnet stones remove dead skin cells to reveal a brighter, more radiant complexion. Removes dead skin cells. Leaves skin feeling soft and smooth. Gives skin a brighter, more radiant look. Improves skin texture and tone. CLICK HERE to view product.
The Nature’s Co. Passion Fruit And Pineapple Body Mist: Renew and awakens your senses; Ripe & luscious scent; Soothing and moisturizing.Renew and awaken your senses with our Passion fruit & Pineapple Body Mist. Lose yourself in tropical paradise with this ripe, luscious scent. CLICK HERE to view product.
Meiji Amino Collagen Skin Glow: Meiji Amino Collagen is a Japanese beauty product that enhances, retains and replenishes essential nutrients needed for a healthy glowing skin. Collagen is a protein that occurs naturally in our body. CLICK HERE to view product.