Published on June 4th, 2015 | by Rima J Pundir
KITCHEN SECRETS: A ‘gram’ of besan
No fancy skin care product will replace the old age beauty secrets that have been passed down by your grandmother… Besan (gram flour) is one such ingredient, the secrets of which, I am sure will be passed by you someday to your daughters and granddaughters. Let’s give you a quick peek into our list of favorite besan-ed beauty tricks.
1. For Oily Skin: Mix 1 tbsp besan, ½ tbsp curd, ½ tbsp honey and a pinch of turmeric powder. Apply it evenly on your face and neck. Massage for 2 minutes and leave it to dry. Wash it off with lukewarm water and pat dry with a soft towel. Do this once a week and see the difference as besan clears up that oil.
2. Combination Skin: Repeat the same mixture but skip the turmeric powder. Also replace the curd with milk if your skin is prone to dryness. This will balance the natural oils without stripping your skin of it.
3. Dry Skin: Mix ½ tbsp besan, 1tbsp cream and ½ tbsp honey. Apply evenly but wash off in 5-7 minutes while still damp. Take some rose water and wipe your face; follow up with moisturiser for skin that really soaks in all the goodness.
Some TLC for the body:
As we said besan is an all rounder of an ingredient. To get your body skin happy, mix 5tbsp besan with half a bowl of full-fat milk (you can also add in some fruit pulp for added anti-oxidant benefits). Apply this paste on all over your body (Limit this indulgence to your washroom or an area that can be cleaned up easily.) Scrub for about 5 minutes and then leave on for another 10.
1. If you have oily skin, head straight to the shower and scrub off with a sponge or loofah with your hands. Don’t use soap or shower gel.
2. If you have dry skin, then take olive oil and start applying over the dried besan. The oil will moisten the besan enough for it to be sloughed off. Head for a shower and towel dry your body.
Your skin will be baby soft. Now cancel that spa appointment and take a siesta instead.
FAB BAG PICKS
SaND For Soapaholics Oh Curcumal: Cultivated from the fields of Southern India, our Wild Turmeric blended into our earthy Gram Flour creates a cleanser for all complexions. To enhance the strength and scent of the cleanser we added our Grapefruit Essential Oil. This oil is delicately distilled over a wood fire from Grapefruit that is cultivated from our towering 40 feet trees. See that uneven tan fade away, as tranquility sinks in. CLICK HERE to view product
Splurge Almond Oatmeal Scrub: Wave goodbye to clogged pores and impurities and let your skin breathe. The combination of ingredients in this scrub help nourish and moisturize your skin. With anti-microbial properties, our scrub works as an exfoliating agent to remove dead skin cells leaving your skin refined and oil-free. CLICK HERE to view product.
SkinYoga Green Tea Face Mask: Inspired from the ancient Japanese skincare regime, this green tea based, antioxidant rich face mask slows aging and wrinkles. This is a 100 percent natural acne control formula that removes toxins from your skin and gives you a more youthful appearance. Organic Green Tea works as a very effective sun guard and acne control agent. CLICK HERE to view product.