Published on June 10th, 2015 | by Ahana Basu
WEATHER WISE: Rainy skin care
If you’re inspired by Frank Sinatra’s singing in the rain, you know also know that damp skin can ruin many a complexion! Fear not, for here’s some skincare 101 for you to combat the rains.
I’ve always wanted to be a heroine in a Yash Chopra movie, so I could stand in pouring rain with perfect skin, or dance around in the Alps in a gorgeous chiffon sari and never break out into goosebumps. Unfortunately, I generally end up with damp skin that eventually leads to oiliness and hair like wet rat’s tails. So, until Yashraj Films hires me, here are a few tips to keep your skin going during the rains.
Keep it clean
- For dry skin, you can use almond paste or a honey cleanser. Take ten crushed almonds and make a paste and add two tsp of honey. Massage on face for 5 to 7 minutes, rinse face and pat dry.
- For oily skin, use a very mild cleanser to get of dead cells and grime. Ripe papaya pulp makes for a great, mild exfoliant. You can also make a scrub at home with ground oatmeal, a little salt and water or a teaspoon of olive oil. Apply it for 5-10 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Toning is a must at night. During monsoon, a lot of airborne and waterborne microbes are let loose. So a good anti-bacterial toner will go a long way to prevent skin infections and eruptions. It is a good idea to get anti-bacterial face wash too.
- You need to mildly tone dry skin since the pore size is small. Use five drops of chamomile oil in a one tsp milk to tone dry skin and ten drops of lavender oil in one tsp water for oily skin.
- Moisturising in the rains is as important as it is in summer. Monsoons can leave skin dry and lifeless and yet has the irritating effect of making oily skin more oily. Use one tsp pf honey, one of fresh curd and one of jojoba oil. Mix together and apply on your face and neck. Leave it on for 10 mins and then wash off with plenty of water. This is for those with dry or itchy skin.
- For oily and combination skin, mix two tsp rose water to two drops of strawberry oil and fresh orange oil. Mix and apply on face and neck for 10 minutes and wash off.
- Moisturise twice in a day with a light-weight moisturiser and make sure to apply a gel-based with an SPF 15 or more, before going out in the sun.
Apart from these, it is also important to eat right. Include lots of vitamin E and Omega 3 in your diet. These nutrients are rich in oils and will keep your skin nourished. It is also a good idea to take vitamin C during the monsoons to boost resistance against diseases. Avoid wearing heavy make-up and opt for sweat-proof or water-proof products.
With all this taken care of, don’t forget your chiffon sari and rain dances!
FAB BAG PICKS
Pamper yourself with this exotic combination of Oatmeal & Almonds. Oatmeal helps in replenishing skin moisture, whisks away dead cells, irritation, and redness. French Clay is used as a natural cleanser drawing out skin impurities while Almonds are good natural exfoliants. Go ahead & treat your skin with this wonderful exfoliating yet calming, softening and delicious smelling mask. CLICK HERE to view product.
Mint, Cucumber & Neem Toner is a refreshing spray that liven you up on a long day. It freshens and softens the face instantly and removes dirt and cleans the pores. The spray also has the goodness of Neem with anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties which helps acne prone skin while Cucumber is an emollient and a natural cleanser. Perfect for acne, oily or problematic skin. CLICK HERE to view product.
Replenish your skin with Splurge Daily Moisturizer With Sun Protection. Specially made for all skin types, this moisturizer is rich in Vit E and protects your skin against UVA/UVB. Enriched with the goodness of Shea butter, Almond oil and Wheat germ, this moisturizer is light and non-greasy. CLICK HERE to view product.