Published on June 13th, 2015 | by Gayatri Dahiya
GET PREACHY: ‘Pore’ old me!
Unsightly open pores can often lead to you having a ‘strawberry nose’. Here’s how to combat them:
- Pore size does not actually change, no matter what treatment you use. While you can minimize the appearance of pores, you can’t actually reduce them.
- Pore size could be genetic, much like acne.
- Oily skin is often a cause of open pores. Treat your skin as per its type, and use products accordingly so ensure your pores don’t stand out.
- Ageing and sun damage can worsen the problem.
- CTM (aka cleansing-toning-moisturising) is the sure shot routine to deal with open pores. Follow this religiously and your skin will look fabulous.
- Toner is your best friend – it deep cleanses and reduces pore appearance.
- Exfoliate, exfoliate, exfoliate – but only once a week – too much and your skin will get ‘irritated’. This in turn can give rise to clogged pores and blackheads.
Some home remedies
Usually, the best solutions for skin troubles are sitting right in our kitchen; here’s what you can use to treat your pores:
- Tomatoes are super rich in toning agents. Dip cotton wool in tomato juice and dab generously all over your face; leave on for 15-20 minutes, and watch your pores shrink! Or simply cut a tomato in half and rub it on your face.
- Mashed papaya is a must-try. Apply on your face and wash it off with lukewarm water.
- Whip an egg, mix a few drops of lemon juice, and slather on skin. Let the egg ‘dry’ out and then wash off with lukewarm water with a few drops of lemon. This improves skin tone, reduces pore size, and enhances complexion. Great for mature skin.
- A mixture of 3-parts honey and a dash of lemon juice works wonders in tightening skin pores, and can be used as often as twice in a week. Just apply, wait for 10 minutes and wash off for a glowing face!
Head to the salon
A good facial or peel goes a long way in maintaining the texture and appearance of your skin, and keeping blackheads, whiteheads, and open pores at bay. Schedule a regular clean up to mask the appearance of enlarged pores, and clean out any bothersome blackheads and clogged pores. If you’re looking for something a little more thorough and professional, you could consider a glycolic peel treatment and see longer lasting results.
Extra Tip: Looking for a quick fix? Just rub an ice cube to your face and watch your pores shrink in a jiffy!
FAB BAG PICKS
Go natural with SaND For Soapaholics Face Puree. Packed with Oatmeal and naturally occurring Red Clay, this cleanser absorbs toxins from your skin leaving your face smooth and glowing. Blended in fresh Ginger extracts, it gives that extra zing to your day. CLICK HERE to view product.
Infusing essential minerals into the skin, Seasoul Dead Sea-Aloe Vera Anti Pores & Pigmentation Mask works deep into your skin to minimize pores and evens out skin tone. It purifies and removes harmful toxins reducing the appearance of dark spots. CLICK HERE to view product.
A natural astringent for Oily or Combination Skin. Made with 100% pure plant extracts. Zero preservatives.Clarins’ exclusive blend of Rosewood, Geranium and Lotus extracts purifies, tightens pores and refines the skin texture. Hazelnut Oil softens, soothes and seals in moisture to prevent fine lines. Non-staining. CLICK HERE to view product.