Published on June 20th, 2015 | by Jehan Raffiuddin
KITCHEN SECRETS: Choc-O!
Think chocolate and the mind resonates with sinful pleasure. But chocolate is as good for the skin, as it is for the soul!
Whether you want to treat a mood swing or are looking for an indulgence for your sweet tooth, you can never go wrong with chocolate, especially dark chocolate. Dark chocolate or cocoa is not only good for your heart but can also work wonders on your skin. The high anti-oxidant content of chocolate makes it a perfect therapy for your skin, as it aids cell repair, hydrates the skin, prevent formation of wrinkles, and provides protection against UV damage.
Five DIY Chocolate Face Masks
Chocolate masks can be easily made using products off-the-kitchen-shelf; however, it is best to use dark chocolate with up to 70% cocoa content for optimum results.
- Dry Skin: Add honey, cream and oatmeal to dark chocolate or cocoa powder to whip up a mask for your dry skin. Cocoa softens the dry skin, while oatmeal provides it nourishment and cream acts like a moisturizing agent. Mix all ingredients to obtain a thick batter. Apply an even coat on your face and neck, and let it rest for 20 minutes. Wash with lukewarm water.
- Oily Skin: Make a thick batter by mixing 1/3 cup of cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons of gram flour, 4 tablespoons of honey and 3 tablespoons of curd. Apply an even coat on the face and rinse after 20 minutes. Gram flour helps in cleaning the deep pores, and curd curbs the secretion of oil, while cocoa powder and honey provide softness and nourishment to the skin.
- Normal Skin: To reap maximum benefits on chocolate on a normal skin type, incorporate sea salt, milk and brown sugar in the mask. Melt two bars on dark chocolate on a double boiler, and remove from heat. Add a pinch of sea salt and three tablespoons of brown sugar to 2/3 cup of milk. Add the chocolate to this mixture, and apply a thick coat once the chocolate has cooled down. Leave it on till the mask hardens, and then rinse with lukewarm water. You can finish it up by dabbing a little moisturizer on the face.
- Toning Mask: To hydrate and tone your skin, you can make a mask by mixing dark chocolate with fruit slush. Throw in bananas, apple, watermelon and strawberries in a blender and churn till you get a smooth paste. Along side, melt 50 grams of dark chocolate on a double boiler and allow it to cool down until it has reached a temperature comfortable for your skin. Mix two-three tablespoons of fruit mix with a generous tablespoon of molten chocolate, and apply on the face. Wash it off with lukewarm water after 20 minutes.
- Hydrating Mask: Mixing dark chocolate or cocoa powder with edible oil will give the perfect hydrating mask for your skin. The simplest method is to mix two tablespoons of cocoa powder with a teaspoon on coconut oil. Alternatively, you can melt 50 grams of dark chocolate and mix one tablespoon of molten chocolate with an equal quantity of olive oil, sweet almond oil or grape seed oil. You can even throw in an egg yolk for added nourishment. A hydrating mask should be allowed to sit on the skin for at least 15 minutes for best results.
FAB BAG PICKS
Indulge your lips in the luxurious texture of Tattva Dark Chocolate Lip Balm that gives your lips the moisture it needs for a long lasting finish. CLICK HERE to view product.
Get the soft rich feel onto your skin by slathering on this delicious treat. Chocolate has emollient properties that improve the appearance of the skin by making it soft and silky. While Mint stimulates and energizes the senses making skin feel amazingly refreshed. CLICK HERE to view product.
Bathe in the richness of chocolate. Also embedded with real flower petals and natural fragrant oils – From Thyme Sesame to Jasmine and Lavender to Vetiver. This not only pleases your skin and your senses, also appeases Mother Nature just as well. CLICK HERE to view product.