Published on July 9th, 2015 | by Soma Priya
TIPS & TRICKS: A Handy Guide
Hands are first to show age. Here are 10 things-to-do that keep them looking younger, longer…
Apart from a monthly manicure, your hands do need extra pampering lest they start showing signs of ageing. The skin on the back of our palm is thinner as compared to the other parts. With advancing age, cell rebuilding process slows down depleting collagen (which provides elasticity to the skin), resulting in fine lines and dryness. Since hands come in constant contact with chemicals (soaps and detergents), pollution (dirt and smoke) and environment (sun and wind); their care is of utmost importance.
One to ten
- Scrub off: Exfoliation helps to remove the dead cells and increases blood circulation giving way to soft and younger looking skin. An effective weekly scrub can be made by mixing 2 tablespoons olive oil in 1 spoon of granular sugar. Gently scrub on this mixture till sugar dissolves and wash off with warm water. Apply a thick moisturizer.
- A little TLC: Your hands need their weekly massage too. Massaging improves blood circulation and also restores the softness of the skin. A homemade massage lotion can be prepared by mixing 2 tablespoons glycerin with half tablespoon each of lemon juice and rose water. With circular motion massage both the hands and nail cuticles for 15 minutes. Wipe with warm cloth and apply moisturizer.
- A lemon in hand: If your hands show dark patches, it is likely that they have pigmented cells caused by excessive exposure to sun. Try rubbing lemon wedge and you would be surprised to notice even tone within few days.
- Moisturize: Moisturize your hands at least twice everyday with a cream that contains alpha hydroxyl acids or AHAs, lactic acids and hydrating urea.
- Beauty masks: Beauty masks are excellent way to keep the skin tight and firm. A whacky but highly recommended hand mask can be prepared by mixing warm milk with boiled and mashed potato and applying over hands till the paste cools off. Wash and apply your favorite moisturizer.
- Always SPF: Just like your face, your hands need sunscreen of SPF more than 20 – reapply every time you wash.
- The ‘M’ of moisture: After the SPF fix, apply moisturizer. Keep a jar of moisturizer handy in your purse or near your wash basin. also, that anti-ageing cream that you use on your face, spare a little for your hands too – they will thank you later, by looking young.
- No drying soaps: Go for mild moisturizing soaps or creamy hand washes to retain moisture. Also, make sure the hand sanitizers are kept to a minimum – the alcohol content dries out the skin!
- Drink ample water: Water will keep your skin hydrated from inside out. Ensure calcium and vitamins in your diet – vitamin A, C and E are a must to maintain healthy skin and nails.
FAB BAG PICKS
Packed with the goodness of Vitamins A, E, and C, The Nature’s Co. Kiwi Hand & Nail Cream moisturizes, softens, rejuvenates and strengthens nails. Rich Kiwi takes care of hands leaving them soft and supple. CLICK HERE to view product.
Cold-pressed from the dried kernels of the Almond Tree, Sweet Almond Oil is medium-weight oil rich in Oleic and Linoleic Acids, proteins and Vitamin D. It’s also known for its ability to soften and recondition while helping reduce moisture loss. CLICK HERE to view product.
Under the Ocean Handcream mainly contains Almond Butter and Seaweed Extract. Almond Butter works effectively as a wonderful moisturizer that keeps your hands moisturized and prevents dryness. CLICK HERE to view product.