Published on July 21st, 2015 | by Jehan Raffiuddin
Make your peepers look their very best with these oh-so-simple tips and tricks!
Whether you’re satisfied with just a flick of kohl, or spend several minutes perfecting your eyeliner, making up the eyes is a major part of the everyday routine. Here are some tips to enhance the beauty of your eyes, no matter their size and shape. Start with a clean base. Ensure any remnants of previous makeup has been wiped off and that no part of the area around your eye is moist or sticky. If you’ve had a long day or a sleepless night, take ten minutes and put raw cucumber slices on your eyes before starting on makeup. Trust us, it makes a difference. Your eyes will be soothed and refreshed and look naturally brighter.
Big is beautiful
- Who doesn’t want larger, brighter, melting eyes that stand out. The trick with making your eyes dramatically big with a few simple makeup tips is to think of them as an accessory. That way, you’ll know how far to go, and when to put the brushes, and the colour, away.
- Use two different eye shadows from the same colour family to create dimension. Apply the lighter shade to the inner corners of your lids and darken as you go up and out. Focus on colouring the middle and outer edges to give definition to the wider part of your eyes
- If you’re using eyeliner, start from around three-fourths of the way into your eyelid and concentrate on the centre of the lash line. Don’t use liner on the inner corners as this makes the eyes look smaller.
- Try using shades of blue as this makes the whites of your eyes look brighter.
- Shimmer is a brilliant (pardon the pun) way to enhance your eyes. The science behind this is that the more light radiating off your eyes, the larger they appear. So go crazy (but not too much) with the gold and bronze.
- Your lashes add the necessary extra bit of drama to your get-up, so bring on the mascara. Use the centre of the wand to curl coat the tips of your lashes. Wait for a few minutes, then apply several more coats.
- So, you’re naturally doe-eyed and don’t want to overdo it. One of the kinks of large eyes is that they can take over your entire look, especially if you have a small face. However, there are ways to pull off a great natural look on your eyes without diminishing them.
- Use a highlighter shade, that’s the lightest shade on your eye shadow palate, all the way up to your brow bone.
- Experiment with dark colours on your lids. Think inky black, indigo, purple and so on. Blend well so that the colour is uniform.
- Line your eyes all the way. Use liquid liner on top and kohl on your lower lash line. Connect the two at the outer edge of the eye for greater definition. This gives a closing effect, making the eyes recede a little.
- Use a cotton bud to smudge your eyeliner a little. The thicker you make the lines, the smaller your eyes will look.
- The smoky look can be very effective if you don’t want to look too wide-eyed. Blend eye shadow in shades of charcoal and grey on your lids and keep your liner to a uniform length all across your eyes. Finish off with mascara.
FAB BAG PICKS
Highly concentrated with reflective mother-of-pearl pigments, The Bourjois Little Round Pot Light Eye shadow is 2x as luminous as a classic eyeshadow* and illuminate the eyes to create a halo and give a spectacular make-up result! CLICK HERE to view product.
An incredibly soft-textured pencil that highlights the outline of the eyes with precision, for flawless long-lasting color. Dermatologist tested. Water resistant. CLICK HERE to view product.
Enhance and intensify your eyes with six beautiful and highly-pigmented Eyeshadow Quads. Each color combination has been customized by a team of Makeup Artists, to suit both the sophisticated and ostentatious makeup lovers. Compacts come in an array of matte and shimmery shades that can be used year-round. CLICK HERE to view product.