Published on July 21st, 2015 | by Rima J Pundir
And some for the tresses
Blow-drying is a diva’s ultimate tool – but if you are a hair dryer bumbler like me – chances are, a hair dryer leaves you and your hair in shambles! So here are 5 tips that will ensure your hair respond well to drying and be your crowning glory instead of a disaster!
- Section: It’s really not as difficult as it sounds. Also bending over at your waist and blow-drying until you get dizzy will not help you, or your hair! Once you have detangled your hair, keep duckbill clips or clutchers nearby – make a minimum of three horizontal sections and clip up the others.
- The wrong hand: Table manners demand the dominant hand to hold the knife; similarly, it’s the brush you should be holding in the dominant hand. The brush needs to be moved with dexterity, not the dryer.
- Pull up, not down: A naturally inclination is to pull the brush towards gravity – but that flattens the hair across the scalp – no voluminous mane then! Pull the hair halfway up towards the sky (okay, the ceiling!) – hold the brush at mid length. The hair till mid-length should be blasted upwards while the hair falling below can be styled downwards.
- Smoking strands: Holding the dryer too close to the hair will only fry it and damage the hair cuticle. Also hair that is still damp is akin to spraying water on a hot pan – it will sizzle – and we do not mean that in a sexy way…
- Too much, too sun: The cardinal sin of drying is drying the hair as if there were no tomorrow. A hair dryer is a styling tool – not an omigod-I’m-late-for-work tool – it’s better to let damp hair air dry their way to your office, rather than trying to dry hair by blow drying. Use a dryer on almost dry hair – with a thermal hair protectant in place and when you have the time to spare!
FAB BAG PICKS for your Crowning Glory
A mixture of nature’s best ingredients made to protect and strengthen the roots of your hair. This oil works as a shield protecting your hair from damage, while making it manageable and full of life. CLICK HERE to view product.
Reduce excess oil for hair that looks clean and fresh all day using a balancing shampoo without silicones, sulphates, parabens or colorants. Infused with pracaxi oil, white nettle, seaweed and Community Trade sugar and aloe vera. CLICK HERE to view product.
Conditions to smooth hair’s surface for incredible shine and prolonged radiance. No silicones, no parabens and no colourants. For normal to dry hair. CLICK HERE to view product.