Published on July 21st, 2015 | by Rima J Pundir
IN-BOX: No more oil
Oil’s great for the hair, but a shiny face is so not in – here are some oil busters for you!
Oil is good for the skin, the natural sebum the skin produces that is – it forms a defensive layer on the skin and locks in the hydration to keep your face looking supple and youthful. But oily skin is really a pain to maintain – here are some super home remedies.
Raid your kitchen
- Aloe Vera: Dubbed a wonder plant, aloe vera has many medicinal properties – and for oily skin – it’s just a super thing to have around. Just split open a leaf and scoop out the gel in a clean jar and store in the fridge – would last you about 8-10 days. Just smear on some gel, keep on for 5 minutes and then wash off for crystal clear, supple skin – free of oil!
- Egg Yolk: Smelly but effective. The next time you are on a whites-only diet, don’t throw away that yolk. Beat it well with a fork. Dip a cotton ball and smear all over face (pinch your nose if you have to!) Keep on for 10 minutes and then rinse off – use a good face wash to keep the eggy smell at bay.
- Luxe almonds: So yes, a little expensive but totally worth it – pulverise almonds together with honey for a sticky paste. Apply all over face and neck and then scrub off using a hot washcloth. Rinse off with cool water for a complete face lift – and freedom from oil!
- Lime-n-lemony: Bursting with antioxidants and brightening properties, lemon is also an excellent oil absorber. Combine equal parts of lemon juice and rose water and apply it all over the face with a cotton pad. Wait 2-3 minutes and then wash off.
- Baking Soda: Sounds completely anti-beauty and more kitchen cleansing but adding a pinch of baking soda to your facewash can work wonders – but restrict yourself to doing this just 1-2 times week lest you dry out your skin. Pour facewash onto your palm and then sprinkle baking soda – now gently rub all over face – avoiding eye and lip contour – keep on for a minute and then wash off for an oil free face all day – this will also help in removing those blackheads!
- The Nature’s Co makes this star product – the Lemon Peel Exfoliating Body Wash in its Starrize range – a little something to smoothen, exfoliate and brighten the skin with it’s lemon extracts. It also acts as a great astringent perfect to wash away that gritty, sticky summer sweat.
- Dead skin cells can really steal away that glow. A good scrub sweeps off those cells and give you skin that’s healthy, nourished and glowing. Try the all natural Almond & Honey Scrub & Body Polisher from Tvam that exfoliates, soothes and moisturises your skin gently. This delicious 100% Pure Almond & Honey Body Scrub is highly concentrated with soft almonds, natural honey, aloe vera and rose water, leaving your skin simply sumptuous. You can also try the all natural Almond & Walnut Scrub & Body Polisher with uniform rounded walnut shell grains that together with Almond Oil and Plant Extracts enhance skin tone and smoothness. It also contains the goodness of seabuckthorn extracts, shea butter and cocoa butter. The scrub gently sweeps away dead skin cells, removing black heads, unclogging pores, deeply cleansing the skin and stimulating fresh cell growth to keep the skin soft and glowing.
- Oily skin that simply breaks out in the hot, sweaty months of summer? Try the Nature’s Co Cool Cucumber Face Wash – enriched with beat hydroxy acids – it deep cleanses the skin without drying thus preventing acne.