Published on August 28th, 2015 | by Rima J Pundir
FAB BAG PICKS: Face Off
Skin care is not so much science as it is common sense. Here are the essential beauty products you need to keep to look your very best!
The very first step in skin care lies in understanding your skin – and to do this, you can take a skin test at a dermatologist or search for the Fitzpatrick skin type test online. This will tell you what skin type you have for you to better judge the skin care products you buy. You may end up spending a fortune on skin care products but if they are not for ‘your’ skin type, not only will you not get the desired results but you may also end up with breakouts or other mild skin reactions… Here’s a checklist of what all you should have on hand at home (all according to your skin type)
- Facewash: Soaps are alkaline and ruin your facial skin by stripping it off all its natural oils (i.e. the squeaky clean feeling) which may feel very ‘clean’ but in actuality leads to increased sebum production… A morning and evening beauty regime is begun with a simple cleansing routine which a good and gentle facewash kicks off well.
- Toner: Toners are not just for ‘oily’ skins. They do clean out any excess oil but also soften and prepare skin to receive ‘hydration’ aka moisture better.
- Moisturiser – Day: A day moisturiser (lotion or cream) is a light formulation with added SPF for sun protection.
- Moisturiser – Night: Richer creams target early signs of ageing with magic potions of retinol to erase fine lines and wrinkles.
- Body Lotions: A good body lotion (with perhaps some added sun protection, anti-tan action or simply shea butter richness) will keep your body skin glowing for long.
- Make-up remover: Those layers of make-up cannot be tackled with a face wash alone. You do need a good make-up remover to take off oil or crème-based make-up at night to let your skin breathe.
- A scrub: Gentle abrasiveness is what you need – the idea is scrub off dead skin cells, not scratch or damage live skin cells. Choose one according to your skin type.
- A mask: Be it skin tightening or brightening, moisturising or blackhad removing; masks put a glow onto your face, removing dead skin cells with mild exfoliation and work through the layers of the skin with their active ingredients. Also, relaxing with a mask on for 10-15 minutes gives you a brighter skin and outlook!
- Lip balm: Will keep your lips hydrated during the day and avoid any cracks or chaps.
- SPF: An essential tool against the skin’s battle with the sun and its harmful UV rays – the primary cause of ageing. Use a sunscreen or block as per your preference but using it is a must! Along with an SPF factor of 15 or more, do look out for UVA & UVB protection too…
FAB BAG PICKS
- From the Body Shop: We have a range of goodies for you, suited to your skin type for you to try from this fantastic brand. Tea Tree Range for young or acne-prone skin, Seaweed for oily or combination skins, Aloe to soothe sensitive skins and the vitamin E range to wipe off signs of ageing from mature skin! Hope you enjoy what you get – be it the cleanser, toner, creams (day or night) or the facewash! CLICK to view the entire range.
- From Clarins: A renowned beauty brand all over the world, a Clarins product is an experience all by itself and we do hope you enjoy your experience – be it the cleansing milk or gel, the facewash or exfoliators or simply the rich and diverse day creams…CLICK to view the entire range.
- From L’Occitane: A day cream or the refreshing towelletes, whatever you get from the L’Occitane kitty is sure to leave you asking for more…CLICK to view the entire range.