Published on January 29th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
Every ‘Body’ Needs Care
Putting a great face forward that glows with health and inner beauty is great, but the effect can be ruined with dry limbs, cracked feet and rough hands. Here’s a little know how in keeping your skin happy, throughout…
Moisturisers combine oil (unless oil-free) and water to replace the hydration lost from the skin and prevent further loss as the oil forms a protective coat. Body lotions can have hydration, whitening or anti-ageing properties. Moisturiser or body butter, which is better? Depends on your hydration needs! If you have dry skin, opt for body butter or crème; else use the lotion.
Hands are exposed to the elements and are constantly being used; they begin to show wear and tear, and age sooner than any other part of the body. Why should you use a hand cream? They are richer and more intensive than face creams (and body butters) and so provide greater moisture and hydration. Plus they are handy to carry around as opposed to a body butter jar! Do try a hand massage at home:
- Apply a hand or body cream and lightly spread over hand and wrist.
- Using your thumb, gently knead the back of your hand using small circles, from wrist down to the knuckle and between knuckles.
- Beginning with the little finger, squeeze from top to bottom. Repeat for all fingers.
- Circle over wrist. Turn hand over and knead palm of hand in the same manner as above.
You need to apply moisturiser to your feet as the sole of the foot is 15 times thicker than the skin of the face and three times thicker than the skin of the palm. A good body butter will moisturise your peds well but do invest in a foot cream if you have dry or callused soles and heels. Some care:
- Follow good personal hygiene daily – wash your feet using an antibacterial soap and always dry your feet and toe webs thoroughly.
- Wear cotton socks and shoes that fit.
- Soak feet for 20-30 minutes in the evenings in warm water using special bath crystals.
- After drying, massage your feet with cream.
- Trim toenails straight across to prevent ingrown nails and do treat your feet to an occasional pedicure at a salon.
A bouquet for your body:
The Body Shop Strawberry Body Butter: This rich and creamy Body Butter is a feast for the skin. It melts straight in to leave skin feeling soft and smooth. It contains Community Fair Trade shea butter and has a sweet strawberry scent. 24-hour hydration Great for normal to dry skin. Sweet strawberry scent. CLICK HERE to view product
Gulnar Handmade Soap-Rosemary Tea Tree: Bathe in a Bouquet of Flowers embedded with real flower petals and natural fragrant oils. From Thyme Sesame to Jasmine and Lavender to Vetiver. Discover a range of soaps fit to please Mother Nature herself. CLICK HERE to view product
Burt’s Bees Coconut Foot Cream:Your feet support you each and every day. How about a little love? Made with Coconut Oil and other natural ingredients, our foot creme revives and rejuvenates your dry, oh-so neglected feet while Rosemary and Peppermint Extracts refresh your weary soles. You’ll go nuts for it. CLICK HERE to view product