Published on February 8th, 2016 | by Jehan Raffiuddin
Pretty in Pink
Red lips may set his heart on fire but a petal pink pout will make him want to take the plunge and taste your lips. Here’s some inspiration if you want irresistible pink lips…
Apples are out and strawberries are in. No, we’re not haggling with the fruit vendor to stock up the refrigerator; we’re decoding the latest colour trend on the runway. The pink lip originated in the flower power era of 1950’s where the rage was to combine dramatic eye make-up with pale pink lips. Now, it’s back for a sweet revenge. Smoky eyes paired with pink shades are hot this season and just about every fashionista on the red carpet is sporting this ultra-feminine yet bold look.
Emma Stone’s version of pink lips is being hailed by beauty experts as the best among the pink pouts. Stone’s pale complexion lends itself very well to this bright hued pink. Celebrity makeup artist Mai Quynh created this look by swirling pink blush on the apples of the cheeks. Emma’s eyes were kept simple with neutral shadow and a stroke of black liquid liner on the upper lids, plus mascara. Finally to create shiny long-lasting lips, Quynh layered lip products, starting with a vivid lip colour and topping it with a similar shade of gloss.
Another celebrity that comes to mind when you think of pink lips has to Nicki Minaj. Her style is to wear pink in a light, opaque, no gloss hue. The pop-star created a stir with her style of pink and also became the inspiration for two pink lipsticks for MAC Cosmetics. Pink Friday, was the limited edition bubble gum pink lipstick brought out by the make-up giant in 2010 to coincide with the release of Minaj’s debut studio album and VIVA Glam Nicki released in 2012 whose proceeds go toward helping people affected by HIV and AIDS.
Get the look
Of course not everyone can pull off neon pink or the cotton-candy shade of pink in everyday life, but that doesn’t mean you will have to write off this super ‘in’ trend altogether. Playful yet sexy, feminine yet modern, pink is far more versatile than most bold shades out there. Plus, a pink pout is easier to pull off. All that’s needed is a cue from our natural lip colour to determine what pink lipsticks will work with our skin tone.
- Start by matching your skin’s undertones to the lipstick’s undertones. The darker your complexion, the more pigmented your pink lipstick can go. For example, warm skin tones work well with rich pinks, like fuchsia. Cool skin tones, on the other hand, might be overpowered by bright colours.
- Pale skinned women and should avoid colours that are too bright and loud. Opt for sheer hues, beige-pinks, mauve, light and nude pinks and pale rose. Still if you are desperate for those pink lips, make sure your pink has yellow undertones.
- Finally, remember when wearing pink lipstick make sure that your lipstick and blush don’t clash. Pink lipstick teamed with a tad too much bronzer, or simply going a bit too heavy with blush will look overdone. For a more subtle, even look, use a matching blush or smooth a little of the lip colour itself on the apple of your cheeks and blend well. If you opt to wear a bright pink, make your lips the focal point of your look.
Our top 3 favourite Pink Lipstick picks:
- TOMMY G DUAL LIPSTICK: Use this dual lipstick from Greece’s biggest cosmetics group to discover the deepest pigmented, long lasting product you’d have ever tried. CLICK HERE to view this product
- FRAN WILSON MOOD MATCHER LIPSTICK-PINK: Each shade changes according to your body chemistry for a truly personalized lip color. Experience the rich, natural moisturizing and super-long-lasting 12-hour powers of this color bomb that just wont wear off, even when eating, drinking or kissing! CLICK HERE to view this product
- MAX FACTOR LIPFINITY LIPSTICK (Hint of Pink): With a moisturising top coat, it gives you luscious lips that lasts all day. CLICK HERE to view this product