Published on March 10th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
Hair Spa Session
While the term hair spa may evoke images of you resting in a Jacuzzi with your hair being pampered by the best nature has to offer, it’s often anything but. Also salon massages frankly leave me with headache rather than restful-ness so the hair spa bit, I prefer to do at home.
Get it right:
- An oil massage: A good oil – be it olive, almond or even your grandma’s much admired coconut or mustard is key to it all. Warm the oil a little and then gently massage it onto your scalp and hair. If your hands don’t seem to do the trick, invest in a good massager brush – I like the Osim one.
- Next, dip a towel in steaming water and wring by twisting the dry ends. Wrap this towl on your hair turban style for 10-15 minutes. This opens up the pores on the scalp and the hair follicle to really absorb the oil.
- Now use a gentle shampoo and give your scalp a good foaming rinse. This will take off about 70-80% of the oil.
- Follow up with a good hair mask – for those of you who love your DIY home masks, a few are given below. But if you are more of a retail beautista, use one of your store bought hair masks/spa. Whatever your choice is, coat your hair liberally with it. Put on a shower cap and keep on for another 10-15 minutes.
- Shampoo, again with a gentle shampoo and then condition as usual for a far more manageable mane. Brush hair while still damp to get any residue off.
DIY hair masks:
- Damaged or ageing hair: Blend two bananas, one egg and one teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- Dry or coloured hair: Blend one banana, 1 cup papaya, two tablespoons almond or olive and splash of vinegar.
- For dandruff or itchy scalp: Blend two tablespoons gooseberry (amla) juice with one cup yoghurt and 1tablespoon sweet almond oil.
- For dull hair: Blend one cup coconut milk, two tablespoons honey and olive oil each.
Fab Hair Masks we love
1. Vert Hair Cream Mask Hibiscus & Muskroot: Protect your hair from damage caused due to excessive styling, pollution and exposure to chemicals with this mask. Hibiscus & Muskroot prevents Hair loss, pre mature greying of hair and cure dandruff thereby enhancing Hair Growth. CLICK HERE to view this product
2. The Nature’s Co. Rosemary Hibiscus Hair Mask: This mask acts as a natural conditioner & gives shine to the hair. It stimulates hair follicles, prevents hair loss, premature graying & dandruff. CLICK HERE to view this product
3. Nyassa Hair Oil: Nyassa’s hair oil is a rich and nourishing blend of natural herbal extracts. It is fortified with strengthening and nutritive elements that will keep hair and scalp problems, especially hair loss, premature greying and dandruff, at bay. CLICK HERE to view this product