Published on April 15th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
Easy Hair Care Routine
BEFORE a hair wash
Oil: There’s plenty to choose from. From the good old coconut oil to grandma’s tale of mustard oil in the hair, from ayurvedic preparations to the more exotic olive, almond and jojoba… Here’s your essential oil guide:
- Coconut: Experts claim it is a fabulous conditioner.
- Amla: The age-old ayurvedic concept of amla, reetha and shikakai being manna for your hair may just be true.
- Almond: Full of protein, this oil is supposed to stimulate hair growth.
- Herbal: Ranging from olive to jojoba to rosemary to bhringraj, these oils claim to tackle all your hair problems.
- Specialised: Targeting hair loss, dandruff or stimulating hair growth – choose whichever addresses your concerns the best
Hair masks: Essentially, hair masks are deep-conditioning conditioners to be applied before shampoo. Most of these pre-wash conditioners work like oils, nourishing hair from the root. Sneaky trick: If out of hair mask, use your normal daily conditioner before shampooing. Apply it liberally over hair and scalp and wrap head in a hot towel for 15-20 minutes. Shampoo and skip the conditioner.
DURING a hair wash
Shampoo (and of course conditioner!): Walk down any haircare aisle in a department or beauty store and you’ll find racks groaning with shampoos and their conditioner counterparts. Choose a range that suits YOU, not your idol, friend or mother! From shampoo and conditioner sets that control dandruff, hair loss, protect black/coloured hair to gentle everyday shampoos to deeply nourishing ones, from shampoos that add shine to those which add volume… Whew! Endless.
AFTER a hair wash
Now comes the chaos. From styling gels to sprays, detanglers to leave-in, anti-frizz to high-gloss; choose your poison depending on your hair type and look, when in doubt, ask your stylist for recommendations! Here, we have divided hair products according to texture.
- Leave-in conditioners: Leave-in conditioners, applied post shampoo and conditioner, are available as creams and sprays to help hydrate and nourish hair.
- Anti-frizz products: These products act solely on curly or wavy hair silicone-based and are designed to smooth rough hair shafts.
- Styling products: Styling products are used more to create a look than to add to your hair’s health.
- Styling spray: For light hold, and used after setting your hair for shine and flyaway control
- Styling mousse: Mousse is much lighter than other styling products and doesn’t “crispen” hair the way gels do
- Styling gels: Choose according the ‘hold’ you want.
- Styling wax or pomades: Great for short, dry hair. Pomade is a wax-like substance that may feel greasy in the container and on the hands, but once worked into.
FAB BAG PICKS:
Celebrate the trend of gorgeous tresses with any of these hair wonders!
The Body Shop Rainforest Coconut Hair Oil: This luxuriously silky oil melts effortlessly into your hair creating the perfect overnight, leave-in, pre-wash treatment or the optimal nourishing accompaniment to scalp massage. Reveals hair that is strong, soft, and shiny with a healthy scalp. CLICK HERE to view product.
Brocato Curlinterrupted Smoothing & Hydrating Treatment: A smoothing treatment that deeply conditions, detangles and gently “straightens.” It penetrates hair with essential moisture and smoothes the cuticle to relax curls! This hydrating treatment should be used when texture, curls or frizz are out of control. CLICK HERE to view product.
The Nature’s Co. Apple Guava Shampoo: Rich in vitamins and full of natural fiber which moisturizes and provides body and shine to hair. Treat your hair to the goodness of Apple and Guava extracts. They are moisture-retaining, rich in vitamins and full of natural fiber. Leaving hair clean, soft and shiny. CLICK HERE to view product.