Published on April 25th, 2016 | by Yashodhara Ghosh
Sun’s Up Buns Up
Most of us don’t have the luxury of being a Shakira or a Jennifer Lopez when it comes to having a great posterior, so here are some tips to get you a butt you can love…
Recently, I came across the word ‘callipygian’. It’s a Greek word meaning ‘having a well-shaped derriere’. Now that’s a compliment I would love to get. As would most of us, so here’s how to go about it!
Lunge for it!
It’s difficult for a couch potato like me to say, but physical exercise is absolutely necessary to whip your rear into shape. Whether it’s a brisk walk or run every day, or a strenuous Latin dance class, you need to put in the work. There are specific exercises for the gluteus maximus as well and lunges and squats are the best of these:
- Front lunges: These are one of the absolute best exercises for your butt. To start, stand up straight with your hands on your hips. Take a big step forward with one leg, bending at the knee, until your knee is at a 90 degree angle. Step back. Repeat 15 to 20 times with each leg.
- Side lunges: A side lunge is very similar to a front lunge, only instead of stepping directly forward with one leg; you’ll go forward and to the right (with your right leg) or left (with your left leg). Maintaining your balance is a bit of a challenge, but it’s worth it.
- Back lunges: Again, these are very similar exercises to the front lunge, only (you guessed it!) instead of stepping forward, you’ll step backward. You might have to do these a little more slowly than the front lunges to avoid a fall, at least at first.
- Squats: Celebrities and their fitness trainers swear by squats to keep your rear shapely. Stand with your hands and arms straight in front of you, then, keeping your back straight; squat as though you’re going to sit in a chair behind you. Stop when your thighs are level with the ground, and your knees are bent at a 90 degree angle. If it helps, you can lean against a wall to keep your balance.
“Dress” up your bum
- Waist not: If you have a flat bum which you’d like a little more oomph to, emphasising your waist is a great way to make your rear look bigger. Find a medium to large width belt, and tie it around the tiniest part of your waist, over whatever shirt you’re wearing. (This looks best over button-down shirts, sweaters, or loose blouses.) For extra emphasis, try using a dark-colored belt over a light shirt. Don’t wear horizontal stripes or patterns around your waist. Busy fabrics or colors will emphasize your tummy and make it look bigger. Instead, stick to dark, solid colors on top.
- All in the jeans: The right pair of jeans can make a world of difference to your rear. Small, high back pockets will make your butt appear larger. Additionally, pockets with embellishments such as sequins, stitching, or colored thread can add more interest and “direct traffic” to your rear. Avoid jeans with big pockets or no pockets at all. Try high-waisted jeans — the top of the pants should fit around the slimmest part of your waist, making it look small and your butt appear bigger. Avoid dark wash jeans, which will make your legs and rear look smaller (especially if you’re wearing a light-colored top). Instead, try white, pastel, or light blue jeans.
- Heel-ing touch: Ditch the kitten heels and go for your sexy stilettos for an instant life to your rear. Walk like you’re on a runway, or in an Enrique Iglesias video! Throw your shoulders back and arch your lower back. This will not only make your butt more prominent, but it’ll also slim your torso a bit and make your chest look bigger. Remember, you’re a diva, and don’t you forget it!
FAB BAG PICKS
SkinYoga Post Workout Neem Purifier : Neem leaves are the best answer to all skin problems. The bitterness of neem will help you get rid of bacteria and various skin allergies. Regular use will help you free from unwanted body odor. This anti-inflammatory and medicinal body wash can be used regularly for post exercise shower. CLICK HERE to view product.
Votre Body Shaping Kit : A stretch mark and Body-Shaping treatment formulated for skin that has been adversely affected by pregnancy, rapid weight loss, growth spurts, or age. This Body Shaping kit is an innovative, highly targeted treatment that helps reduce the unsightly and embarrassing appearance of stretch marks, which can appear on anyone, and at the same times reduces fat deposits and help reduce inches. CLICK HERE to view product.
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Body Lotion : The original product with a worldwide, cult following, Palmer’s cocoa butter lotion is developed with pure cocoa butter which melts on contact with the skin, helping to penetrate with antioxidants, as well as act as an emollient to lock in moisture and protect skin from the harsh elements of the environment. Also includes Vitamin E so not only does it moisturize, but it helps to keep your skin soft, healthy and smooth. CLICK HERE to view product.