Published on April 30th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
If you thought blushes were more a make-up artist’s tool than something that you need in your kitty, you thought wrong…
- Colour: A colour that matches your cheeks when they’re flushed is the right one for you. For a quick test, “spank” your cheeks (best done in private) and use the resulting colour as a guide (you can swatch a few shades on your arm to match it). Another less painful trick is to match the blush to your lip colour.
- Consistency: Powder blushes are best for oily and combination skins while crème-based blushes work for dry skin. Liquids and gels go with almost all skins.
- Order: Usual order of application: foundation, eye make-up, blush and then lip colour. Sneak tip: Apply blush before foundation for a more “natural” look.
- Brush: All “doll-size” blush brushes that come in the pack need to be shown the boot. Use a professional full brush but don’t use the same brush you use for your powder.
- Chiselled cheekbones: Shade the underside of the cheekbone with a bronzer or dark blush, then add the blush to the apples of the cheek and on the cheekbone. Finally, illuminate the area above the cheekbone with a light blush, highlighter or simply translucent powder.
- OTT: If you’ve gone a bit heavy on the powder blush, dust a bit of translucent powder over it. For cream blush, blot the colour off with a tissue. However gel and liquid blush stain the cheeks, the only way to lighten them is it wipe off the make-up and restart all over again albeit sparingly.
FAB BAG loves blushes – Our top 3 picks:
- THE BODY SHOP LIP AND CHEEK STAIN: This dual-purpose liquid stain gives lips and cheeks a hint of natural-looking colour. Can be used under gloss for added intensity. CLICK HERE to view this product
- CLINIQUE BLUSHING BLUSH POWDER BLUSH: Silky formula that instantly glides over cheekbones. This one will gives you a natural, healthy look. It’s long wearing & stays colour-true for hours. CLICK HERE to view this product
- FLORELLE WET & DRY BLUSH – MARMORIZED: The Wet & Dry Blush, made in Milan, is from the house of the Swiss brand, Florelle. It contains an ultra-pearly soft powder, which ensures perfect adherence and colour. CLICK HERE to view this product