Published on May 23rd, 2016 | by Gayatri Dahiya
Beat Hair Fall
Seasonal hair fall is a common occurrence. While it’s normal to lose about 50-100 strands of hair a day, hair loss could increase three-fold around the turn of the seasons. Don’t tear your remaining hair out in worry! This is perfectly normal and curable with some simple steps. Hair works on a life cycle—for new hair to grow, the old, dead hair needs to fall out. But if you’re experiencing more shedding than necessary you could take some steps to reverse that pattern.
You’d think there’d be one time of the year when you need not worry about losing your precious hair; but Mother Nature ensures the shedding process continues all through. To fight it, you need to understand how it’s caused:
- Summer: Extreme heat causes dry hair, and in turn split ends and brittleness; additionally, sweating causes fungal infections and dandruff, and all of this contributes to hair loss. Summer is also a time for expedited hair growth, which means that more hair would shed 3-4 months post this growth phase.
- Monsoons: If your hair survives the harsh summer, it has the rain to contend with—rain water is polluted and when absorbed by the scalp, causes hair fall. And for most Indian women, the sticky weather causes trapped moisture that further weakens the hair follicles.
- Autumn: ‘No, I didn’t get a haircut! It’s fall and I’m shedding!’ The advent of autumn causes much more than just the shedding of the leaves. Most women report hair loss in autumn, owing to the factors that have been in play over the course of the summer and the monsoons. So, if you experience more hair loss in the coming few months, you know you’ve got the previous few months to blame!
- Winter: Winters cause extreme dryness of the scalp and hair, and much like summers, cause split ends, dandruff, weak hair, and ultimately—more hair loss.
- Oil ‘em up: It’s imperative to oil your hair at least twice a week. Massage warm coconut oil, leave overnight, and wash it off the next day with a mild shampoo.
- Go easy on the shampoo suds: It’s great to want squeaky clean hair, but not at the cost of hair loss! Use a mild shampoo that’s lower in sulphates, or even better, create your own shampoo at home using a blend of reetha, amla, and shikakai. Just follow grandma’s directions!
- Trim the hair, don’t fry it: Trim your hair every 4-6 weeks. Also hair ironing, perming; hair colouring or hair styling should be avoided, or at least kept to a minimum, and use minimal hair products.
- Henna + Curd=Less Hair Loss: Use a hair pack of henna and curd to keep your hair nourished. Henna is very good for strengthening the roots of your hair, and curd adds extra nourishment.
- Cover it up and plait it: Put on a pretty scarf or a snazzy hat to protect your hair. More so, if you are leaving home instantly after washing your hair. Plait or tie your hair before you go to bed or before stepping out of the house.
A friend with a gorgeous mane suggests the following wonder cure for hair loss: soak full (not crushed) fenugreek (methi) seeds in your bottle of hair oil, and leave in the sun for a day. Use normally then, twice a week for 3-4 weeks and notice hair loss reduction by up to 70%!
FAB BAG PICKS
The Nature’s Co. Rosemary Hibiscus Hair Mask: Gives shine; It stimulates hair follicles, prevents hair loss, premature graying & dandruff; Rosemary prevents thinning hair and hair loss. For Silky Shiny Hair. Amla is a natural conditioner, gives shine to hairs. It stimulates hair follicles, prevents hair loss, premature graying & dandruff. CLICK HERE to view product.
BioBloom Hair Oil – Hair Strengthening: This Hair Strengthening Oil provides nutrition to hair to make them stronger and prevent hair fall. Avoid use of chemical rich hair products to prevent damage to hair. CLICK HERE to view product.
SoulTree Methika & Bhringraj Hair Oil: Fresh extracts of Methika (Fenugreek), Bala, Aamla, Brahmi, and Bhringraj combined with virgin oils of Cocunut, Almonds, and Grapeseed provide wholesome hair nourishment, reduces hair fall and makes hair healthy and bouncy. CLICK HERE to view product.