Published on May 31st, 2016 | by Gayatri Dahiya
Even before Cleopatra was using it to enhance her legendary beauty (and hook Mark Antony and Caesar), honey was considered a wonder cure for skin, hair, and overall well-being. The uses of honey have been illustrated even in our history of Ayurveda, and have passed on from generations right on to our own mothers and grandmothers suggesting honey for just about anything ranging from acne, dry hair, to wrinkles.
What’s so great about it?
- Honey has anti bacterial properties, and is therefore great for treating acne.
- It can be used as a mild antiseptic—when mixed with water, it produces hydrogen peroxide (due to one of the enzymes found in raw honey), a mild antiseptic that can be used to effectively treat cuts and abrasions.
- The sugar in honey makes it a great humectant, thus enabling it to absorb and retain high levels of moisture, which explains why most moisturisers use honey as a key ingredient! Honey is great for dry hair because it adds moisture to the cuticle. When mixed with warm water, it lubricates the hair shaft.
- Honey also makes for a great exfoliant – it contains mild alpha hydroxy acids, such as gluconic acid, that effectively cleanse the skin. These acids also increase elasticity, balance oily skin, stimulate collagen production, and minimise lines and wrinkles.
When consumed, honey improves blood circulation and cleanses the system.
Honey-Loving at Home!
While there are a gazillion kitchen recipes that use honey for the skin, hair and just about anything – we’ve picked some of our tried-and-tested favorites for you:
- Refreshing Cucumber-Honey Toner: Puree one cucumber and collect the juice. Add 3 teaspoons of honey and mix. Pour this mixture into a bottle and store this in the fridge for up to one week. Apply on the face and neck and rinse off to reveal glowing skin!
- Weekly Honey-Oat Scrub: Combine one tablespoon of honey, one tablespoon of finely-ground almonds, two tablespoons of dry oatmeal, and some lemon juice or yogurt (for balanced acidity). Massage this mixture gently onto face, and rinse with warm water. Use twice a week for a deeply emollient cleansing of your face.
- Cleopatra’s Milk-Honey Bath: Mix ¼ cup of honey, ¼ cup of milk, and add a few drops of your preferred essential oil to this mixture. Add to your hot bath water for silky and luscious skin. This is especially good for dry skin.
- Olive-me-up Hair Conditioning Treatment: For lustrous, silky, healthy hair and scalp, simply combine ½ cup honey with ¼ cup olive oil and a few drops of essential oil. Massage scalp with this conditioner, then put on a shower cap for 30 minutes. Shampoo and rinse as usual.
Honey in a bottle:
- Iraya Honey & Liquorice Face Lotion: With the goodness of Himalayan honey,liquorice and sesame oil, this delicious face milk nourishes and protects the skin.It gives skin a boost of essential nutrients and helps even skin tone, leaving the skin soft, smooth & radiant. CLICK HERE to view product.
- Crabtree & Evelyn Citron Crème & Honey Lip Butter: Give lips a reason to smile: our Citron Crème & Honey Lip Butter. Packed with four nourishing butters and five botanical oils, this beauty secret weapon serves up a lustrous shine. For lips that are completely pout-worthy and a little bit sweet. CLICK HERE to view product.
- Burt’s Bees Thoroughly Therapeutic Honey & Grapeseed Oil Hand Cream: Truly a gift from nature, this ultra-rich hand cream is enriched with three exotic butters – jojoba, cupuacu and macadamia to pamper hands that are dry from everyday routines. Burt’s Bees natural hand cream melts into skin to moisturise and soften without a greasy after-feel. CLICK HERE to view product.