Published on June 6th, 2016 | by Yashodhara Ghosh
From your kitchen: TOMATO!
A recent study has shown that eating tomatoes protect us from sunburn. Tomatoes contain lycopene (that’s how they have their deep red colour). Lycopene fights toxins that break down the basic support structure of our skin and hair. So, having a tomato salad or some kind of tomato base in your diet keeps your skin better protected against those dreaded UV rays. While not a replacement for sunscreens, it doesn’t hurt to throw in a few tomatoes in your daily meals. Tests have also shown that tomatoes boost the production of collagen, those cells that keep your skin looking young and supple. If that wasn’t enough, eating a tomato a day, or a drinking a glass of tomato juice twice a day is said to help you lose weight. So, next time you find yourself reaching for a bag of chips, grab a tomato instead.
Under your skin
- Tomatoes can be used to cure nearly any skin problem and is one of the best remedies for blackheads. Simply slice a tomato and apply the slices around your nose. Leave on for 10-15 minutes, rinse off with warm water. Apply a light moisturiser afterwards.
- For lacklustre skin, try a pack of tomato paste and honey. Tomatoes are full of vitamins A and C that clear your skin and brighten it up. Leave the pack on for ten minutes and rinse off. This works well if you have dry skin as well.
- Tomato and avocado also makes for a great cleansing mask. You can use this twice a week, or if you’ve been out all day and your skin needs a pick-me-up.
- For acne-prone skin, you can use a daily mask of tomato pulp. This needs to left on for an hour, so if you don’t have the time to do it daily, 2-3 times a week will work. Mash a tomato, apply to the affected areas and leave on. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
Hair it is
- Scientists don’t call the tomato a ‘superfood’ for nothing. Along with keeping your skin clear, tomatoes are good for the hair as well. Apply tomato juice or paste to your hair to maintain its pH balance and replenish moisture if it’s become brittle and dry.
- If you’ve got dandruff and nothing seems to work, apply tomato pulp to your scalp for 30 minutes and then wash off with shampoo.
- Tomato juice also removes hard-to-remove odours like smoke from your hair. Apply tomato juice to your hair, then shampoo it off.
With naturally made beauty products becoming more and more popular, tomatoes are very much in demand. Nina Ricci even has a perfume with a tomato heart – Les Belles Liberty Fizz.
So whether you say to-may-to or to-mah-to, we say you should get them in your beauty routine right away.
FAB BAG PICKS:
Vert Fresh Cucumber & Mint Face Scrub : Known for its fresh, natural and handmade cosmetics, Vert is a brand with many a loyal customers, who absolutely swear by its products’ efficacy and natural ingredients. This gentle scrub is fortified with fresh cucumbers, sugar, jasmine, nutmeg and mint oil. It effectively removes dead skin and keeps the skin hydrated, yet oil-free. CLICK HERE to view product
SaND for Soapaholics Oh Curcumal : Cultivated from the fields of Southern India, our Wild Turmeric blended into our earthy Gram Flour creates a cleanser for all complexions. To enhance the strength and scent of the cleanser we added our Grapefruit Essential Oil. This oil is delicately distilled over a wood fire from Grapefruit that is cultivated from our towering 40 feet trees. As if it wasn’t enough, we threw in the plant of immunity, Aloe Vera, for good measure! See that uneven tan fade away, as tranquility sinks in. CLICK HERE to view product
SkinYoga Oats and Roses Face Wash : Rose petals are considered to be a natural toner and an excellent sunblock. Oats contain natural cleansers that remove dirt and oil from the pores without causing irritation. This vitamin C enriched combination with real rose petals will leave your skin feeling protected, clean and toned. CLICK HERE to view product