Published on June 15th, 2016 | by Ahana Basu
How To: Tone Chubby Cheeks
If you’ve read The Zoya Factor by Anuja Chauhan, you’ll feel for Zoya, whose plump cheeks are the bane of her 27-year-old existence. So, if you’re one of those who is convinced your face forgot to grow out of its puppy-fat, here are a few tips to make it look slimmer.
Making it up
The right kind of makeup and knowing how to contour can make a world of difference to a chubby face.
- Forehead: Use a bronzer one shade darker than your skin tone to create a shadow above and around the temples, and lightly along the hairline. “This will bring the forehead down and your face will appear more oval with a narrower forehead.
- Cheeks: Your cheeks are the largest areas of skin on your face and in turn, often the chubbiest features. To achieve that sucked-in defined bone structure we all crave, chisel in faux cheekbones. Go under the cheekbone with bronzer, and use a highlighting powder on the highest plane of the cheek. Make your face appear more angular by sweeping bronzer in the hollow area under the apples of your cheeks with the angled face brush. You can find the hollows by sucking your cheeks in. For an even more natural look, dust a soft blush on the apples of your cheeks with a fluffy blush brush. Use a peach blush if your skin has warm undertones and pink if you have cool skin undertones. At the highest point of your cheekbones, on top of the apples of your cheeks, pat on a sheer highlighter. Use one with gold hues for warm skin undertones and one with silvery hues for cool skin undertones. With the make-up wedge, buff away any hard lines in your bronzer, blush and highlighter for a seamless application. You should not be able to tell where one product ends and another begins.
- Jawline: Avoid a double chin effect by defining your jawline. Apply a bronzing powder that’s two shades darker than your skin tone under your jawline. This which will create a nice sharp line and square off your chin, giving you a thin, sculpted face. Feather the bronzer down onto the neck so there’s no obvious two-toned effect. The key is to blend well.
- Eyes: Make your eyes look larger. This can be achieved by wearing white eyeliner on your bottom inner lid (outlined by black liner that goes only 1/3 towards your inner corner). Wear black eyeliner on top. Curl your lashes and use two coats of mascara.
- Lips: Make your lips look fuller by applying just a little bit more lip gloss to the center of your lips. Ensure it’s the high-shine sort so attention is focussed on your mouth.
- Hair tip: Try a cut with eyebrow-skimming bangs or ear-level layers. Having some shape in the top half of your hair (instead of sporting all-one-length locks) will make your face appear narrower in comparison.
FAB BAG PICKS
HIKARI Blush : Designed to highlight your complexion, this weightless blush can be used lightly for a fresh look or layered for a dramatic look. An effortless application to the cheekbones that lasts all day! CLICK HERE to view product
Bellapierre Mineral Blush : Discover fabulous, good-for-you cheek color. These creamy, super sheer all mineral blushes give you a beautiful, healthy tone that looks natural. Bellapierre Mineral Blush creates a soft, radiant glow for perfect fresh-faced rosy cheeks. Recommended by make-up artists and dermatologists, bellapierre loose mineral blush is suitable for all skin types and conditions from oily skin to dry, mature types and even the most sensitive. CLICK HERE to view product
Bourjois Volume Glamour Ultra Care Mascara – NOIR : Its ultra volumising formula coats lashes from root to tip and protects them against harsh external factors (pollution, rubbing, air conditioning). Enriched with regenerating and nourishing cotton and sweet almond oils, it has been specially formulated for sensitive eyes. CLICK HERE to view product