Published on June 16th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
Tips & Tricks: Perfect Nail Coat
Here are a few tips to ensure that you end up with the perfect nail coat:
Applying a neat coat of nail polish without smudges is a moment of triumph for most of us. Colour fascination for nails starts to fade off quick if you don’t master the art of applying nail polish. Neatly painted nails can really set off your look while smudges or chips can so do the opposite.
Thumb rule, the literal one:
- Start with a good base coat. This will protect the nail bed from staining.
- Apply thin coat of your favourite polish starting from the base along the length. Let it dry and only then go for the second.
- Finish it off with a top coat.
- Never ever apply a second coat unless the first one has dried up. However, if your nail paint has become thick and sticky and you are out of options then opt for a single coat only.
- Before applying a fresh nail polish, remove the old one completely. Traces of old one can cause yellow stains if not removed carefully.
- Always and forever use a good nail polish remover and a gentle one at that.
- When headed to a salon wear flip flops after a pedicure. The nail paint will start smudging even if it is semi dried with the closed toe shoes.
- Apply your nail paint, let it dry and then head to the basin. Take an old tooth and brush your nails with it. This will remove traces of extra nail polish around the nails.
Running late for the party but need that coat of colour? Easiest fixing tool at rescue: water! As soon as you polish the nails with the first layer, keep your fingers for a few seconds under cold running water. This will dry out your nails instantly. Wipe your hands and repeat. Make sure your hands are dry before going for the second coat. If the polish is really sticky and refuses to dry even with this then dip your hands in a bowl of water and ice cubes. A hair dryer set on the lowest temperature will do the trick too. Higher temperature will cause the polish to melt.
Do the do’s:
- Avoid hoarding nail polish bottles for a very long time. Even the best brands have an expiry date.
- Buy good quality nail paints. Cheap substitutes or duplicates will spoil your nails for good.
- Keep the bottles away from heat and sunlight.
- Shut the cap tightly after every use. Avoid spillages from the side of the neck of the bottle.
FAB BAG PICKS
Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Color : Flaunt your nails while you treat them! The Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Color seals your nails with brilliant shine and provides added protection against chipping, cracking and splitting. It is Formaldehyde free and contains no DBP and Toluene. CLICK HERE to view the product
Natio Nail Color : Discover a natural understated take on shimmers with this gorgeous Natio Nail Color. Its delicately glistening varnish offers a wearable, glamorous and distinctly contemporary manicure. Finish it with a top coat for extra shine and staying power. CLICK HERE to view the product
Bourjois 1 Second Nail Polish : This one-coat gel formula is enriched with silicon to give your nails the perfect curve and ultra glossy finish. Use its fan-effect brush that adapts to the size of each nail for a quick, neat and groomed result in just one swipe. Pretty nails are just a second away! CLICK HERE to view the product