Published on June 29th, 2016 | by Ahana Basu
Skin Care Tips For Monsoon
Here are a few tips to keep your skin looking it’s best during the rains.
I’ve always wanted to be a heroine in a Yash Chopra movie, so I could stand in pouring rain with perfect skin, or dance around in the Alps in a gorgeous chiffon sari and never break out into goosebumps. Unfortunately, I generally end up with damp skin that eventually leads to oiliness and hair like wet rat’s tails.
Keep it clean
- For dry skin, you can use almond paste or a honey cleanser. Take ten crushed almonds and make a paste and add two tsp of honey. Massage on face for 5 to 7 minutes, rinse face and pat dry.
- For oily skin, use a very mild cleanser to get of dead cells and grime. Ripe papaya pulp makes for a great, mild exfoliant. You can also make a scrub at home with ground oatmeal, a little salt and water or a teaspoon of olive oil. Apply it for 5-10 minutes and wash off with warm water.
- Toning is a must at night. During monsoon, a lot of airborne and waterborne microbes are let loose. So a good anti-bacterial toner will go a long way to prevent skin infections and eruptions. It is a good idea to get anti-bacterial face wash too.
- You need to mildly tone dry skin since the pore size is small. Use five drops of chamomile oil in a one tsp milk to tone dry skin and ten drops of lavender oil in one tsp water for oily skin.
- Moisturising in the rains is as important as it is in summer. Monsoons can leave skin dry and lifeless and yet has the irritating effect of making oily skin more oily. Use one tsp pf honey, one of fresh curd and one of jojoba oil. Mix together and apply on your face and neck. Leave it on for 10 mins and then wash off with plenty of water. This is for those with dry or itchy skin.
- For oily and combination skin, mix two tsp rose water to two drops of strawberry oil and fresh orange oil. Mix and apply on face and neck for 10 minutes and wash off.
- Moisturise twice in a day with a light-weight moisturiser and make sure to apply a gel-based with an SPF 15 or more, before going out in the sun.
Apart from these, it is also important to eat right. Include lots of vitamin E and Omega 3 in your diet. These nutrients are rich in oils and will keep your skin nourished. It is also a good idea to take vitamin C during the monsoons to boost resistance against diseases. Avoid wearing heavy make-up and opt for sweat-proof or water-proof products.
With all this taken care of, don’t forget your chiffon sari and rain dances!
FAB BAG PICKS
Votre Advanced Pore Minimising Toner Hydra Mist : Bid Good-bye to open pores! Have absolutely pore-less, younger looking skin. Specially designed for Pore Minimizing, this mild, alcohol-free toner gently removes impurities and tightens pores, without over-drying your skin. Licorice, a natural astringent, tightens pores, Aloe soothes and protects and Watermelon refreshes and cools, leaving your skin feeling soft, soothed and refreshed. CLICK HERE to view product
Inveda Sunscreen Cream Gel SPF 30 : Enriched with Gotukola & Cucumber, this Cream Gel protects skin from harmful UVA/ UVB rays of the Sun. The blend of natural ingredients acts as a barrier & prevents from tanning, pigmentation, as well as from premature ageing of skin. It suits all skin types. CLICK HERE to view product
The Nature’s Co Raspberry Face Wash : Removes cities grime & dirt off your face; Soothing; Acts as a natural antioxidant and helps relax and calm inflamed skin. Get the cities grime and dirt off your face with this sweet smelling Raspberry Face wash. It is soothing, a natural antioxidant and helps relax and calm inflamed skin. Just dampen your face and neck, place a small amount of face wash on your fingertips and massage using small circular movements. CLICK HERE to view product