Published on July 22nd, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
How To: Cure Dark Joints
Reasons galore, but dark patchy joints – be it elbows, knees or ankles can quite ruin the day. This is a perennial problem with many, so much so that at times you may refuse to step into a mini just because your knees look bad. Here are some common sense cures, natural remedies as well as retail therapy to help you combat it all.
Every Day Cures:
- Pay special attention to scrubbing your joints every day. It’s easy for dead skin to build up there, as the skin is thicker at joints.
- Every time you bleach your face, apply a little bleach on your joints too. It tends to lighten skin a bit.
- Run lemon juice over the darkened areas and you’ll see a lightening of the skin within a week.
- Use AHA-based scrubs over the area for faster and more efficient exfoliation.
Remedies from the Kitchen
- Olive Oil and Salt Scrub: While olive oil acts as a natural moisturiser and hydrates the dry blotches on your knees, knuckles and elbows, salt is a natural scrubber that exfoliates dry skin. A plus on this will be few drops of lemon, which is natural bleach. Prepare this mixture and smear on. Leave on for a few minutes and wash off for skin that lightens over time.
- Sugar and Coconut Oil Scrub: Make it a part of your regular regime to use a scrub made from sugar and coconut oil on the dark patches. Mix coarse granules of white sugar with coconut oil in a 1:2 ration and apply on the blotchy spots. Now rub gently in circular motion for a couple of seconds and then wash off. While sugar granules will make the areas smooth, coconut oil will lighten and hydrate them.
- Yogurt and Almond Powder Paste: Who hasn’t heard of the natural youth enhancer – almond? But many might not have known till date that almond paste works wonders on dark, patchy elbows, knuckles and knees too! The natural oil present in it is rich in Vitamin E. Thus, together with making the patchy skin smooth it lightens the same and unclogs the dead cells. You can augment its power by adding a spoonful of yogurt to it. The acids in yogurt will serve additionally as natural bleach. Apply this paste, keep on for 10-15 minutes and then wash off.
FAB BAG PICKS
The Body Shop Vitamin C Microdermabrasion: Fine exfoliating micro particles and crushed garnet stones remove dead skin cells to reveal a brighter, more radiant complexion. Removes dead skin cells. Leaves skin feeling soft and smooth. Gives skin a brighter, more radiant look. Improves skin texture and tone. CLICK HERE to view product
Thalgo Indoceane Sweet And Savoury Body Scrub: A delicious combination of Sea Salt, Cassonade Sugar and plant Essential Oils, this scrub has a unique bi-phase texture to help eliminate rough patches, smooth the skin and leave it feeling beautifully soft. Delicately fragranced with notes of Mediterranean Essential Oils, your skin is left smooth, toned, and radiant. CLICK HERE to view product
Vivel Cell Renew Deep Smoothing Body Lotion: Deep Smoothing Body Lotion Instantly smoothens rough patches for smooth, glowing skin. Who says you have to choose between deep nourishment and ultimate smoothness? The new Deep Smoothing Body Lotion has a smooth textured formula infused with visible Vitamin E beads that gently dissolve into skin to deep nourish it from within. With regular use it aids skin regeneration, leaving your skin irresistibly soft and smooth. CLICK HERE to view product