Published on August 13th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
Hair Care Tips
While the term hair spa may evoke images of you resting in a Jacuzzi with your hair being pampered by the best nature has to offer, it’s often anything but. Also salon massages frankly leave me with headache rather than restful-ness so the hair spa bit, I prefer to do at home.
Get it right:
- An oil massage: A good oil – be it olive, almond or even your grandma’s much admired coconut or mustard is key to it all. Warm the oil a little and then gently massage it onto your scalp and hair. If your hands don’t seem to do the trick, invest in a good massager brush – I like the Osim one.
- Next, dip a towel in steaming water and wring by twisting the dry ends. Wrap this towl on your hair turban style for 10-15 minutes. This opens up the pores on the scalp and the hair follicle to really absorb the oil.
- Now use a gentle shampoo and give your scalp a good foaming rinse. This will take off about 70-80% of the oil.
- Follow up with a good hair mask – for those of you who love your DIY home masks, a few are given below. But if you are more of a retail beautista, use one of your store bought hair masks/spa. Whatever your choice is, coat your hair liberally with it. Put on a shower cap and keep on for another 10-15 minutes.
- Shampoo, again with a gentle shampoo and then condition as usual for a far more manageable mane. Brush hair while still damp to get any residue off.
DIY hair masks:
- Damaged or ageing hair: Blend two bananas, one egg and one teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- Dry or coloured hair: Blend one banana, 1 cup papaya, two tablespoons almond or olive and splash of vinegar.
- For dandruff or itchy scalp: Blend two tablespoons gooseberry (amla) juice with one cup yoghurt and 1tablespoon sweet almond oil.
- For dull hair: Blend one cup coconut milk, two tablespoons honey and olive oil each.
Fab Bag Picks
Wella Brilliance Treatment (For Coloured Hair) : Light and high conditioning levels available. Both formulas instantly enhance the vibrancy of coloured hair and provide free-flowing movement along with an irresistible touch. CLICK HERE to view product
The Nature’s Co. Rosemary Hibiscus Hair Mask : Acts as a natural conditioner; Gives shine; It stimulates hair follicles, prevents hair loss, premature graying & dandruff; Rosemary prevents thinning hair and hair loss. For Silky Shiny Hair. Amla is a natural conditioner, gives shine to hairs. It stimulates hair follicles, prevents hair loss, premature graying & dandruff. Rosemary prevents thinning hair and hair loss. CLICK HERE to view product
Kronokare Anti Turm(Oil) Repairing Hair Oil : If your hair needs a serious mend, the repairing oil is the perfect blend. With a high concentration of essential oils like lavender and mint, this product is the simple answer – so take the hint! While the extracts repair and fix, the base of coconut add relaxation to the mix. CLICK HERE to view product