Published on August 16th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
TLC Time: Body Pampering
Day and night creams are for your face, but are you ignoring your body?
Putting a great face forward that glows with health and inner beauty is great, but the effect can be ruined with dry limbs, cracked feet and rough hands. Here’s a little know how in keeping your skin happy, throughout…
Moisturisers combine oil (unless oil-free) and water to replace the hydration lost from the skin and prevent further loss as the oil forms a protective coat. Body lotions can have hydration, whitening or anti-ageing properties. Moisturiser or body butter, which is better? Depends on your hydration needs! If you have dry skin, opt for body butter or crème; else use the lotion.
Hands are exposed to the elements and are constantly being used; they begin to show wear and tear, and age sooner than any other part of the body. Why should you use a hand cream? They are richer and more intensive than face creams (and body butters) and so provide greater moisture and hydration. Plus they are handy to carry around as opposed to a body butter jar! Do try a hand massage at home:
- Apply a hand or body cream and lightly spread over hand and wrist.
- Using your thumb, gently knead the back of your hand using small circles, from wrist down to the knuckle and between knuckles.
- Beginning with the little finger, squeeze from top to bottom. Repeat for all fingers.
- Circle over wrist. Turn hand over and knead palm of hand in the same manner as above.
You need to apply moisturiser to your feet as the sole of the foot is 15 times thicker than the skin of the face and three times thicker than the skin of the palm. A good body butter will moisturise your peds well but do invest in a foot cream if you have dry or callused soles and heels. Some care:
- Follow good personal hygiene daily – wash your feet using an antibacterial soap and always dry your feet and toe webs thoroughly.
- Wear cotton socks and shoes that fit.
- Soak feet for 20-30 minutes in the evenings in warm water using special bath crystals.
- After drying, massage your feet with cream.
- Trim toenails straight across to prevent ingrown nails and do treat your feet to an occasional pedicure at a salon.
FAB BAG PICKS
Palmer’s Cocoa Butter Formula Body Lotion : The original product with a worldwide, cult following, Palmer’s cocoa butter lotion is developed with pure cocoa butter which melts on contact with the skin, helping to penetrate with antioxidants, as well as act as an emollient to lock in moisture and protect skin from the harsh elements of the environment. CLICK HERE to view product
Burt’s Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Cream : Cold-pressed from the dried kernels of the Almond Tree, Sweet Almond Oil is medium-weight oil rich in Oleic and Linoleic Acids, proteins and Vitamin D. CLICK HERE to view product
SkinYoga Marigold Foot Soak : The Marigold flower works as an excellent coolant to bring down body heat. It soothes and de-tans sun burnt feet. The seasalt relaxes tired muscles and removes dirt. Coconut reveals softer, moisturized and well-nourished feet. CLICK HERE to view product