Published on September 14th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
How To: Sniff Away Blues
Get those spirits up but you don’t have to turn to booze. Try a few good smells instead!
A rose in full bloom, a cake in the oven, a perfume that smells like fresh breeze, your favourite vanilla lip balm… What’s common to all these? Something as simple as a good scent. Why is it that inhaling something fabulous can lift our spirits so effectively and so fast? Doctors explain that the sense of smell is a “direct” sense. Simply put, with all other senses, you have to process the information first. But with smell, one whiff and its right there, uplifting mood and triggering memories. Take the case of baby powder – all of us who smell it feel relaxed and somewhat snugly thanks to the ingredient heliotropin – a soft flowery scent what we typically describe as ‘powdery’…
A deep breath
Aromas do have a physiological affect on the body, and this can lift off bad moods. Pleasant smells lower the heart rate and reduce stress, and that in itself makes you feel better. So what ingredients should you be looking out for when buying a scent if you want it to help give you a more sunny disposition?
- Chamomile, long cherished for its soothing qualities and proven to have a mood-lifting effect
- Rose, which has been shown to have anti-depressant benefits. Splashing your face with rosewater first thing is a perfect way to lift yourself out of those early morning doldrums.
- Another brilliant morning tonic is citrus – lemon, orange, bergamot – look for citrusy soaps or shower gels for an instant mood lift.
- Need a little energy or just a boost, try something scented with cinnamon.
- A libido-lifter is ginger. Grate up some fresh ginger and add to boiling water to enjoy the exotic smell.
- Fresh-cut grass is another scent that stimulates the senses. Move and mow the lawn or simply head to an open green space.
- Lavender has long been known as a natural de-stresser, and it’s wonderful after a tough day or when you simply can’t wind down enough to go to sleep. A lavender-scented lotion at night will soothe both your skin and senses.
FAB BAG PICKS
All Good Scents Flirty : Flamboyant and coy, an unusual mixture with a panache of black current and softness of white roses & lilies. Girly and naughty. Persuasive and yet playful. For the one who is at once fresh & innocent, elegant & graceful but also provocative and flirty. CLICK HERE to view product
Ital Veloce-CHII Town Blushes : Each spritz is a flirty shower to the soul that makes you blush every time you smell it. This fine fragrance mist combines fresh and juicy notes of peach and apple. The heart reveals a green and spicy bouquet of jasmine, rose, orchid and bamboo. The ambery dry-down blends vanilla with sweet and silky notes of sandalwood and musk. CLICK HERE to view product
Natural Bath & Body Wild Wonder Body Mist : Inspired by emerald blue open waters, this Body Mist never fails to transport you to your favourite shores. Its calming base notes are topped by a delightful wave of Aquatic aroma. An infusion of organic vegetable glycerine makes this Body Mist extra gentle on the skin. Just a spray is all it takes to instantly revitalize your skin, as the charming fragrance lasts you through the day. CLICK HERE to view product