Published on September 21st, 2016 | by Neharika Sabharwal
How To: Fix Dry Hair
Care for Hair
- Oil your mane: It may sound like an ordeal but truth be told oiling is a miracle cure for both your hair and scalp. Try the good old coconut oil for a relaxing champi. It’ll replace the natural oils stripped by the winter chill, improve circulation and bring life to your parched locks. The best part, you don’t even need to keep an oily head for too long: one or two hours is enough to do the trick.
- Wash it right: A common mistake people make is shampooing their hair too often. In cold weather, both the hair and scalp dry out more easily, so limit your washes. Also, try not use very hot water to wash your hair. It’ll just steal the moisture from your locks. Use lukewarm water instead.
- Don’t forget to condition: A conditioner is to hair what a moisturiser is to the skin. Rich conditioning can be your shield against the harsh cold. Condition your hair everytime you wash them and watch it strengthen and increase the elasticity in your hair. If you are opting for readymade conditioner make sure it suits your and is right for your hair type.
- Stay away from dryers: Give those dryers a break this chilly season and we promise your hair will thank you for it. Also avoid vigorous towel drying because that actually damages the hair shaft and roughs up the outer layer of the hair. Be gentle to your manes post a wash but be sure to thoroughly dry them before venturing outside. Wet hair can freeze and actually break off.
- Use the right type of products: The type of products you use will make a big difference in the overall health of your hair especially as the season changes. The product that works well on oily summer locks will not work on dry winter hair. Consult your stylist which type of product is best for your hair type and invest in them.
- Take cover: Protect your hair like you protect your body. Wear a scarf, hat or cap to save your precious locks from the cold and wind, but make sure it’s not so tight it interferes with the circulation in your scalp. Also, ideally avoid woolen caps because they rub against the delicate hair and pull them out resulting in breakage. Opt for satin scarves or caps with cotton or satin lining.
- Regular Trims: Many of us are guilty of poofy hair caused by neglected split ends. Trimming your hair regularly is a must if you want to keep the dryness at bay. Make sure to trim every 4 to 6 weeks so the damage from the split ends doesn’t travel up to the roots.
- Water works: If your problem is quite severe, a good idea would be to invest in a humidifier. It helps by adding moisture to the air, which cuts down on static. Also drinking a lot of water will keep you hydrated on the inside.
- Supplements: Eat foods that are rich in vitamin B such as peas, beans, carrots, nuts and eggs. Another vitamin which is essential for healthy hair is biotin or vitamin H which is present in brown rice, soya-beans and walnuts.
FAB BAG PICKS
Wella Enrich Moisturizing Treatment : Light and high conditioning levels available. Both formulas are infused with silk extract to repair dry damaged hair. CLICK HERE to view product
Kronokare Hydrate The Hair! Shampoo : Say Hi to Hy-dration with our Citrus Shampoo. Get rid of the yucky, feel lovely and lucky! Citrus works on cleansing from within, and on every inch, from toe to chin. The essential oils will hydrate and care, and with a scent so fresh, you’ll think twice before you share. CLICK HERE to view product
The Nature’s Co. Barley Volumising Shampoo : Nourishes and volumizes the hair; Removes excess oil and impurities to reveal a fuller & healthier head of hair. Put the bounce back into your hair with the goodness of Barley. It is rich in pro-vitamin B5 which strengthens and nourishes the hair shaft and root. Its anti-oxidant and protective properties remove excess oil and impurities to reveal a fuller, healthier head of hair. CLICK HERE to view product