Published on September 22nd, 2016 | by Neharika Sabharwal
How To: Smile Right
Studies show that the easiest way for a woman to catch a man’s attention is with one flash of her pearly whites. It never fails. So here’s how you can get a smile to die for…
A mouth full of white teeth not only makes your smile more beautiful, but it also makes you look younger. No wonder then maintaining a white smile is crucial to looking gorgeous and feeling self confident.
Get the basics right
Before we talk about how to make your teeth sparkle, let’s understand why they stain in the first place. Although the enamel of our teeth is the hardest substance in the human body, it is not flat and smooth. On the contrary, it contains microscopic pits and ridges that can hold particles of food and drink. Also, our teeth are essentially porous and tend to absorb the colour of foods and beverages we ingest, which in turn discolour the enamel. While stained teeth occur naturally as we age, some foods and drinks, gum disease and tooth decay can just hasten the process. But there is good news. We can go from having a good smile to a great smile with the numerous options that remove stains and pamper our ivories. While traditional treatments like whitening gels, at-home trays and in-office procedures are an effective way to get there, most of them deliver far less than they promise and can sometimes cause tooth sensitivity and pain. So steer clear of any chemical treatments with these simple DIY techniques to restore your bright smile.
Do it right
- Brush bashing: Start with brushing right. If you are using a medium or hard bristled brush, switch to a soft one. Hard or firm tooth brushes make your teeth yellow in the long run by eroding the perfect white enamel on your teeth. Also, brush your teeth for at least 2-5 minutes, twice a day. Also, note that staining happens in between teeth as well. Floss you gums to remove the stains in between teeth for a whiter appearance.
- Munch it: Crunchy, crispy fruits have an abrasiveness that can help to lift stains from the teeth and give the illusion that they are whiter. They’re like nature’s toothbrush. Try munching on apples, celery and carrots, which have enough abrasiveness to clean tooth surface without posing any harm to the enamel. Keep in mind to eat them in their whole form rather than cutting them up to benefit from whiter teeth.
- Drool delight: Saliva is the body’s built-in cleaning agent. Chewing gum and indulging in citrus fruits like oranges and pineapples cause the mouth to produce more saliva, which help clean the teeth and whiten your smile. Lemons are natural bleaching agents, so try rinsing with half water, half lemon juice once or twice a week. Make sure you don’t use the lemon straight on your teeth which would be too acidic and damaging.
- Think before you drink: Thumb rule: if it can stain a white t-shirt, it can stain your teeth. Beverages such as tea, dark fizzy drinks, and fruit juices are top offenders when it comes to yellowing your teeth. These teeth stains develop slowly and become more noticeable as we age. An easy solution is to use a straw wherever possible. The less contact your teeth have with damaging substances, the whiter they will be.
- Skip it: Baking Soda: A lot of us rely on the age old remedy of gently brushing our teeth with baking soda to remove stains. While there are properties in baking soda that can remove surface stains, it’s not the ideal long-term tooth whitener as it can be too abrasive on teeth and ultimately damages the enamel. Instead stick with whitening toothpaste that has been clinically tested.
FAB BAG PICKS
Geri G. Lip Gloss Crème-Peach : One Step To Luscious Lips. Enjoy the feeling of a luscious lip treatment and gloss all in one. Best of all, Geri G.® Lip Gloss Crème creates a well-hydrated dewy lip, which makes every woman look youthful. CLICK HERE to view product
SUGAR Matte As Hell Crayon Lipstick : If excellent coverage and high colour pay-off is what gets you going, you will absolutely love the new Matte As Hell Crayon Lipstick from SUGAR Cosmetics. Available in 5 gorgeous shades to suit your taste & your ever-changing mood, the SUGAR matte lip crayon is a super long-lasting lipstick that’s highly pigmented so you don’t have to worry about constant re-application. This must-have crayon lipstick has a soft texture with a silky matte finish. CLICK HERE to view product
MUA Intense Kisses Lip Gloss : The newest lip gloss in the MUA range! Intense Kisses lip gloss. They are sealed with a kiss in a high-intensity gloss which comes in a wide range of bold colours adds just the right amount of glamour to lips whether you’re strutting down the street or the red carpet. Now it’s time to pucker those lips up and get kissing away with your new intense MUA kiss lipgloss… MWAH! A high intensity lip gloss for any occasion! CLICK HERE to view product