Published on October 19th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
Sunday Hair Pampering
Sunday beauty rituals include a hair spa for me, and perhaps should for you too!
While the term hair spa may evoke images of you resting in a Jacuzzi with your hair being pampered by the best nature has to offer, it’s often anything but. Also salon massages frankly leave me with headache rather than restful-ness so the hair spa bit, I prefer to do at home.
Get it right:
- An oil massage: A good oil – be it olive, almond or even your grandma’s much admired coconut or mustard is key to it all. Warm the oil a little and then gently massage it onto your scalp and hair. If your hands don’t seem to do the trick, invest in a good massager brush – I like the Osim one.
- Next, dip a towel in steaming water and wring by twisting the dry ends. Wrap this towl on your hair turban style for 10-15 minutes. This opens up the pores on the scalp and the hair follicle to really absorb the oil.
- Now use a gentle shampoo and give your scalp a good foaming rinse. This will take off about 70-80% of the oil.
- Follow up with a good hair mask – for those of you who love your DIY home masks, a few are given below. But if you are more of a retail beautista, use one of your store bought hair masks/spa. Whatever your choice is, coat your hair liberally with it. Put on a shower cap and keep on for another 10-15 minutes.
- Shampoo, again with a gentle shampoo and then condition as usual for a far more manageable mane. Brush hair while still damp to get any residue off.
DIY hair masks:
- Damaged or ageing hair: Blend two bananas, one egg and one teaspoon fresh lemon juice.
- Dry or coloured hair: Blend one banana, 1 cup papaya, two tablespoons almond or olive and splash of vinegar.
- For dandruff or itchy scalp: Blend two tablespoons gooseberry (amla) juice with one cup yoghurt and 1tablespoon sweet almond oil.
- For dull hair: Blend one cup coconut milk, two tablespoons honey and olive oil each.
FAB BAG PICKS
Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Mask : Paraben free repairing mask that intensively restores and preserves the natural inner structure and strength of the hair. With NuTREE complex enriched with natural tree extract, to provide up to 10x strength against breakage* for renewed hair vitality. Captivating fragrance inspired by the green woods of the Amazon. The NuTREE complex targets the scalp and hair inside and out to ensure that both act and stay like renewed over time. CLICK HERE to view product
Spa Ceylon Neroli Jasmine Aromaveda – Hair Cleanser : A gentle cleansing formula with naturally calming & hydrating Ayurveda herbs & essential oils. Pure Aloe Vera Hydrates & purifies hair, improving natural scalp balance. Soya, Almond & Natural Vitamins help fortify hair & prevent dryness. Virgin Coconut, Honey, Green Olive & Sugar Cane help nourish roots & improve natural balance, making hair luxuriously silky soft. Calming Neroli Blossom, Uplifting Orange & refreshing Bergamot work in synergy with balancing Jasmine to Hydrate scalp & calm the senses. CLICK HERE to view product
BioBloom Hair Oil – Hair Strengthening : This Hair Strengthening Oil provides nutrition to hair to make them stronger and prevent hair fall. Avoid use of chemical rich hair products to prevent damage to hair. FREE from all harmful chemicals like PARABENS, SULPHATES, PETROCHEMICALS etc. CLICK HERE to view product