Published on October 25th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
Tips & Tricks: Long Hair!
What’s big this season? Apparently, hair!
If you thought only the yesteryear classics ala Audrey Hepburn loved a bouffant, you thought so wrong. Here’s one version of this classic hairstyle, which never really went out of fashion. Question is; do you dare?
The rather infamous Marie Antoinette was said to have been the origin of the bouffant and the French (and the rest of the world) soon lapped it up. Since then, everyone from everyone has sported some variation of the elevated coif, be whatever the year or age. Here’s a quick bouffant guide for you to try it out:
- Apply a volumising spray to wet hair, especially on and near the roots for more fullness and to increase the puffy appearance of your finished bouffant.
- Flip your head over and dry your hair upside down. Texturise a bit by scrunching and lifting it away from the roots.
- Separate your hair into 3 sections. The first section should begin at the hairline and extend 2 inches back (this will be the hair you smooth over your backcombed hair). Clip it into place so it stays out of your way.
- Next, separate the middle section, which is the part you will backcomb.
- Finally, separate the back section of hair and secure with a hair clip if needed. You’ll style this part later.
- Free the backcombing section (the middle one). Now separate a 1-to-2-inch section and spritz hairspray at the roots. To backcomb: place the comb at the ends of the hair and comb down toward your scalp in a fast stroke. Repeat this motion 1-2 times. If you achieve the desired amount of volume, you have successfully backcombed.
- Continue backcombing in small sections of hair until you have combed enough hair to achieve your bouffant hairstyle.
- Release the top section of hair and smooth it over your backcombed portions of hair. You may need to use some bobby pins to secure stray sections of hair into place.
- Un-clip the last section and comb or curl as you like. Together with the strands of the top section, clip it all into a lowish ponytail or secure with a barrette.
- Curl the ends and hold into place with a mousse.
FAB BAG PICKS
RUSK Being Undressed Gloss : The ultimate cross-dresser, this versatile hair styling product is a pomade, a wax and a conditioning treatment all in one that leaves hair feeling miraculously product free. Add incredible shine and texture, while giving hair humidity-resistant hold and UV protection, with RUSK Being Undressed’ Gloss. Adds shine and texture while providing humidity-resistant hold and UV protection. Leaves hair feeling like there’s nothing on it! CLICK HERE to view product
Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Shampoo : Sulfate free shampoo that renews the moisture of the hair, preserving and nourishing it from root to tip. With NuTREE complex enriched with natural tree extract, to provide up to 10x strength against breakage* for renewed hair vitality. Captivating fragrance inspired by the green woods of the Amazon. The NuTREE complex targets the scalp and hair inside and out to ensure that both act and stay like renewed over time. CLICK HERE to view product
Sebastian Shaper Fierce : Shaper Fierce is the hairspray with extra muscle keeps your hair where you want it. Whether you’re in the city or on the run way. Hold that volume, texture or pinned-up style in place, and radiant against the odds. CLICK HERE to view product