Published on November 8th, 2016 | by Yashodhara Ghosh
Beauty Secrets: Lavender
An elusive scent, used in gourmet cuisine and great for the skin. Need any more to fall in love with lavender?
What was Cleopatra’s secret weapon to seduce Julius Caesar and Mark Anthony, sipped by maidens in medieval era to identify their true love and kept under the beds of newlyweds to ensure passion? A sweet smelling, purple flower called Lavender. 2500 years later, the plant is still indispensable to the modern world through its extensive use in perfumes, cosmetics, aromatherapy as well as gourmet cuisine.
Why is everyone going crazy about lavender?
You may love it for its delicate smell, but lavender in its essential oil form has tremendous benefits for hair, skin and overall good health. Quintessentially used as an anti-bacterial for burns and cuts, lavender is also famous for its sedative properties which calm stress and anxiety and help you get that much needed beauty sleep. The pros don’t stop there. Lavender is most valued for treating acne because it helps restores the skin’s oil balance. It also helps reduce scarring, rashes and skin blemishes. In hair care, add lavender oil to your arsenal against lice and dandruff. You can also add a few drops of lavender oil to your rinse to remove styling product build-up and enhance shine.
- The simplest way to use lavender oil is through a diffuser that will release its aroma, putting you on 7th heaven. Long day? Relax with a soothing bath. Add 10 to 15 drops of lavender essential oil to 1 cup of cream and 1/2 cup of organic honey. Blend well and add to a warm or hot bath. It will ease jangled nerves, muscle tension and skin irritations. What’s more, it will keep you smelling wonderful later.
- Did you know that lavender essential oil is a natural insect repellent? Use it to soothe and heal those pesky insect bites if slathering on insect repellent is not your thing.
- You can treat headaches, nervous disorders and sinus problems at home by taking in the vapours of lavender on a hot washcloth. This also benefits the skin by opening pores, and increase circulation. The oil also makes for an excellent foot soak that softens feet and calluses. Home pedicure anyone?
Off the shelf
So you don’t have the patience to try home remedies using lavender. Big deal! There are a ton of options to buy readymade products with lavender essence. Shower gels, soaps, hand creams and perfumes, you can keep lavender close to your heart in the way you please.
FAB BAG PICKS:
- The Nature’s Co. Lavender Primrose Massage Oil : Soothing; Relieves pain and tensions; Emolient; Gives nutrients to skin. Make your massage something special by rubbing in this special oil. Lavender oil, is soothing; relieving pain and tensions. Evening Primrose oil, meanwhile, is an excellent emollient and skin nutrient and works wonders on damaged skin. CLICK HERE to view product
- Spa Ceylon Lavender – Aromaveda Natural Diffuser : A 100% natural room freshener combining wild-crafted herbs & pure aromatic essential oils reminiscent of old Ceylon. Gently infuses your living spaces with captivating natural aromas to indulge your body, mind & soul. CLICK HERE to view product
- VEDAEARTH BASIL, LAVENDER, JUNIPER BERRY SOAP : The natural fragrance of lavender provides a calming and soothing experience. While the natural glycerin keeps your skin nourished, moisturized and glowing. It gently eliminates excess oil and restores lost moisture. Giving your skin the right oil balance and keeps it refreshed all day. Smells like a sweet splash of freshness. Take a dip.” CLICK HERE to view product