Published on December 12th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
From Your Kitchen: Oats
Bored of your morning oatmeal? Try applying it instead of eating it for a face that glows from the inside out!
The humble oats are a powerhouse of nutrients – and they do make for one of the healthiest possible breakfasts! But the day you want to indulge your taste buds with say the goodness of eggs instead, try adding those oats to your ‘beauty’ menu!
Oats, for beauty?
Don’t get me wrong, eating oats is a very healthy thing to do – from being perfectly balanced carbohydrates to reducing cholesterol – oats have many health benefits. But how does applying them benefit skin?
- Oat protein is an excellent skin protector and moisturiser.
- Complex beta-glucan provides moisturising and immune-stimulant properties.
- The saponins (cleansing agents) in oats also soak up the excess sebum (oil) from your skin thus giving you a clean, matte fresh face.
- The colloidal properties of oats make it an excellent exfoliating agent – scraping off dead cells without harming the fresh skin underneath.
- Avenanthramides, the anti-oxidants found in oats, have excellent anti-inflammatory and redness-reducing properties.
- Oats also have UV-absorbers (phenolics) that protect the skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun!
Need more reason to pat on oats on your face and body? They are super easy to use and barely need any preparation time… A quick mix in a bowl and you’re good to go!
- Oat Scrub: Mix oats with a little rose water (for oily/combination skin) or milk (for dry/pigmented skin) and give your face and body a good scrubbing. Your skin will feel softer, free of build up, look glowing and noticeably ‘matte’ in appearance.
- Oat Mask: Mix oats with honey (for a moisturising mask), rose water and turmeric (for oily skin), yogurt (for normal skin), milk (for dry and tanned skin) or cream (for really dry skin) and apply the paste onto your face and neck. Let it dry (15-20 minutes) and then gently wetting your face, rub off the mask for a glowing visage.
- Oat Bath: If you do have the luxury of a tub then spoil yourself silly – grind up oats and rose petals (from your garden as opposed to the florist) in a mixer. Now to warm (but not hot, lest the oats cook) bath water, add this paste and 500ml of milk. Soak in the goodness for skin that’s renewed and refreshed.
- Oats Hair Mask: Whip up an overripe banana, some oatmeal, olive or almond oil and milk and you have a great hair mask. Simply apply to detangled hair from root to tip and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Wash off with cool water, shampoo, condition and style as usual.
If you need the beauty fix that oats have to offer but don’t have the time or energy to rustle up anything, try these products for an oaty pick-me-up!
FAB BAG PICKS
The Nature’s Co. Hazelnut Sugar Scrub : Quick penetrating; Natural exfoliant; Rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins; It even contains tannins that have toning, astringent & healing properties. For all Skin types All you need to do for beautiful, smooth skin is scrub. Quick penetrating Hazelnut Sugar Body Scrub contains Brown Sugar which is a natural exfoliant and Hazelnut oil that is rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins. It even contains tannins that have toning, astringent & healing properties. In the shower or bath, spread the scrub over your entire body. CLICK HERE to view product
SkinYoga Green Tea Face Mask : Inspired from the ancient Japanese skincare regime, this green tea based, antioxidant rich face mask slows aging and wrinkles. This is a 100 percent natural acne control formula that removes toxins from your skin and gives you a more youthful appearance. Organic Green Tea works as a very effective sun guard and acne control agent. Rice flour acts as a natural whitening agent and adds glow to the skin. CLICK HERE to view product
Wella Professionals Elements Renewing Mask : • Paraben free repairing mask that intensively restores and preserves the natural inner structure and strength of the hair. • With NuTREE complex enriched with natural tree extract, to provide up to 10x strength against breakage* for renewed hair vitality. • Captivating fragrance inspired by the green woods of the Amazon. CLICK HERE to view product