Published on December 12th, 2016 | by Gayatri Dahiya
Honey For Beauty
Great to eat but good to apply too… The humble honey has great properties for the skin and hair. Go on we say, take a dip, in honey!
Even before Cleopatra was using it to enhance her legendary beauty (and hook Mark Antony and Caesar), honey was considered a wonder cure for skin, hair, and overall well-being. The uses of honey have been illustrated even in our history of Ayurveda, and have passed on from generations right on to our own mothers and grandmothers suggesting honey for just about anything ranging from acne, dry hair, to wrinkles.
What’s so great about it?
- Honey has anti bacterial properties, and is therefore great for treating acne.
- It can be used as a mild antiseptic—when mixed with water, it produces hydrogen peroxide (due to one of the enzymes found in raw honey), a mild antiseptic that can be used to effectively treat cuts and abrasions.
- The sugar in honey makes it a great humectant, thus enabling it to absorb and retain high levels of moisture, which explains why most moisturisers use honey as a key ingredient! Honey is great for dry hair because it adds moisture to the cuticle. When mixed with warm water, it lubricates the hair shaft.
- Honey also makes for a great exfoliant – it contains mild alpha hydroxy acids, such as gluconic acid, that effectively cleanse the skin. These acids also increase elasticity, balance oily skin, stimulate collagen production, and minimise lines and wrinkles.
When consumed, honey improves blood circulation and cleanses the system.
Honey-Loving at Home!
While there are a gazillion kitchen recipes that use honey for the skin, hair and just about anything – we’ve picked some of our tried-and-tested favorites for you:
- Refreshing Cucumber-Honey Toner: Puree one cucumber and collect the juice. Add 3 teaspoons of honey and mix. Pour this mixture into a bottle and store this in the fridge for up to one week. Apply on the face and neck and rinse off to reveal glowing skin!
- Weekly Honey-Oat Scrub: Combine one tablespoon of honey, one tablespoon of finely-ground almonds, two tablespoons of dry oatmeal, and some lemon juice or yogurt (for balanced acidity). Massage this mixture gently onto face, and rinse with warm water. Use twice a week for a deeply emollient cleansing of your face.
- Cleopatra’s Milk-Honey Bath: Mix ¼ cup of honey, ¼ cup of milk, and add a few drops of your preferred essential oil to this mixture. Add to your hot bath water for silky and luscious skin. This is especially good for dry skin.
- Olive-me-up Hair Conditioning Treatment: For lustrous, silky, healthy hair and scalp, simply combine ½ cup honey with ¼ cup olive oil and a few drops of essential oil. Massage scalp with this conditioner, then put on a shower cap for 30 minutes. Shampoo and rinse as usual.
FAB BAG PICKS
Just Herbs Honey Facial Massage Gel : A rehydrating and nourishing skin care gel for massage especially suitable for oily skins with healing properties of natures most versatile golden ingredient-Honey. Enhanced with nourishing and anti-aging properties of almonds to banish wrinkles, it prevents/corrects all signs of aging. Vitamin E of almonds combats free radicals, restores collagen elasticity and improves the skins moisture retaining capacity. CLICK HERE to view product
Nyassa Fragrance Oil-Like Honey Dew And Green Carnations : Nyassa Fragrance Oils take you away from the daily grind to distant fond memories. These oils can be used in diffusers, electric diffusers, pot pourri, and can be blended with various other carrier oils. These multi-purpose oils are perfect to turn your home or office into a fragrant sanctuary. Also be creative and feel free to blend two or more oils to create your favourite fragrance. CLICK HERE to view product
Gulnar Handmade Soap : Bathe in a Bouquet of FlowersEmbedded with real flower petals and natural fragrant oils. From Thyme Sesame to Jasmine and Lavender to Vetiver. Discover a range of soaps fit to please Mother Nature herself. CLICK HERE to view product