Published on December 13th, 2016 | by Neharika Sabharwal
How To: Feet Care
Cracked heels, if neglected may lead to serious leg infection or other issues. Follow these steps to fix them…
CTM, for the feet:
This mantra is not only for your face but your feet as well. Good hygiene is the first step for beautiful crack-free feet.
- Wash your feet daily with warm, soapy water which will helps soften the cracks. You can try adding ¼ cup of white vinegar to your soak as the mild acetic acid in vinegar helps soften dry skin. Remember not to use hot water because it will further dry out your feet. Also, limit your soaks to 10-15 minutes, 3 times a week.
- While washing, apply some liquid soap and remove the dead cells from your heels. You can use a wash cloth, pumice stone, an exfoliating scrub or a loofah. Make sure that you do this gently as vigorous scrubbing can lead to bleeding.
- Remember to moisturise thoroughly with a good foot cream or lotion.
- If you feel you need something more emollient, you can opt for a body lotion that contains urea. Urea is naturally present in skin cells, but in dry skin, urea levels are lower. Using a lotion that has urea increases the skin’s ability to hold in moisture.
- Petroleum Jelly is your best friend when treating cracked feet. It fills in those cracks and soothes inflamed skin and also acts as an effective barrier against the cold dry air. A great remedy is to apply your cracked heel cream, then layer on petroleum jelly and put on some cotton socks before going to bed. Your feet will thank you in the morning.
A little TLC
For an overnight treatment, you can rub some olive oil mixed with white vinegar or lemon juice over the feet, concentrating on the heels. Honey is a natural moisturiser so if you want, put some in your mixture. Put on cotton socks. In the morning, wash it off and then exfoliate with a foot file. Dry thoroughly and moisturise. Remember to let your feet absorb the moisture before you put on your footwear.
The right shoe:
Heels move around in shoes and boots that are too big, which causes friction. This will further result in dry calluses around the ridges and surface of the heels. Make sure your shoes are comfortable and properly sized so that heels don’t move but at the same time, toes have wiggle room.
FAB BAG PICKS
The Nature’s Co. Peppermint Foot Soak : Gives rest and refreshes tired feet; Soothing; Ease aches and pains. Rest and refresh tired feet with our Peppermint foot soak. Its essential oil will cool and soften, while it’s soothing mineral salts will help ease aches and pains. CLICK HERE to view product
Kaya Foot Care Cream : “With Glycolic Acid, Kaya’s Foot Care Cream is specially formulated to gently heal rough and cracked feet. It is also recommended for foot softening, treating corns, calluses and thick skin around the elbows and knees. Visible results may be seen in 2 weeks.” CLICK HERE to view product
Spa Ceylon Green Mint Cooling Foot Scrub : TRIDOSHA – A naturally revitalising treatments. Ocean Salt & Minerals soothe & relax tired, swollen feet. Lemongrass drawn out impurities & deep cleanses, while therapeutic Black Turmeric & Nirgundi soften rough patches & soothe feet. Cooling Peppermint & Lemongrass essential oils comfort, calm & refresh feet, promoting total relaxation. CLICK HERE to view product