Published on December 13th, 2016 | by Rima J Pundir
Tips: Right Face Wash
Dust and grime are essential parts of environment and like everything else; your skin too gets clogged with dust, pollution and make-up. Cleansing unclogs pores, removes impurities, washes off toxins and removes dead skin cells to make way for new, younger-looking skin. Cleansing however doesn’t mean reaching out for the most drying of products. Anything too harsh will strip your skin of its natural oils – while you may enjoy the initial clean, tight (aka squeaky) feel; the skin then overcompensates by producing even more oil, often causing breakouts. The key to remember here is being “gentle” with the skin and the choice of products you reach out for to cleanse it with.
No more soap
The old grandma’s adage of soap and water is out. Soap contains alkalies, usually in the form of sodium that interfere with the skin’s ability to hold in water i.e. hydration. Using soap cleanses your skin but strips off the natural moisture, which can lead to excessive dryness and premature wrinkles. Facewashes are milder and while are also primarily made up of chemicals, do not dry out skin but just cleanse it gently. At times they also contain special ingredients that multitask for added beauty benefits, such as oil-control, moisturising, pore-size reducing, brightening, anti-tan and many more.
How to choose?
- Oily skin: Prone to blackheads and pimples, oily skin needs as much TLC as does dry skin. Look out for words like purifying, tightening, deep-cleansing, anti-acne, anti-bacterial, shine-control and mattifying in your tube of facewash.
- Dry skin: If washing makes your skin taut and even flaky, look out for facewashes described as nourishing, gentle, conditioning, moisturising and the like…
- Combination skin: This skin has an oily ‘T-zone’ – the area of skin around the forehead, nose, mouth and chin is oily while the rest of the skin is normal or dry. Look for words such as gentle, oil-balance, combination, balancing, refining, pore-control… The facewash has to clean off the oil gently, lest it dires out the already dry areas of the skin further.
- Mature skin: Ageing skin is starting to lose its elasticity. Some lines may be evident on the surface of the skin and has a tendency to be dry. Facewashes for mature skin need to be read for words like conditioning, anti-ageing, anti-wrinkle, youthful and such.
- Sensitive skin: This type of skin reacts easily to many things, including facewashes. Look for words like non-comedogenic, anti-rash, gentle, and facewashes specially marked for sensitive skin. Better still, get a dermatologist to prescribe one to you!
- Votre Purifying Face Wash : Best treatment wash designed for oily / pimple prone skin, which removes dirt and oil from the skin without over- drying the skin. Botanical extracts provide anti-bacterial benefits to help alleviate redness associated with breakouts. Regular use works to gently resurface skin &decrease pore size, preventing further breakouts. CLICK HERE to view product
- Natural Bath & Body Foaming Face Wash : This unique deep-cleanser utilizes the ability of activated Bamboo Charcoal to detoxify, without drying out the skin. Amazingly absorbent, activated Charcoal unclogs pores and cleanses deep-set impurities and dead skin cells. The silk protein further enhances cellular turnover to aid skin renewal as powerful antioxidants of lemon oil and citric acid provide effective anti-ageing and blemish healing properties. Being completely free from Sulphates, the soft, rich and creamy texture of the foam makes this face wash particularly gentle for all skin types. CLICK HERE to view product
- Iba Halal Care Aloe Aqua Face Wash + Makeup Remover : Iba 2 in 1 Aloe Aqua Face Wash + Makeup Remover – A unique sulfate-free gel formula that completely cleans skin and removes makeup while maintaining skin’s natural moisture balance. CLICK HERE to view product