Published on December 14th, 2016 | by Jehan Raffiuddin
Tips & Tricks: Eye Beauty
Make your peepers look their very best with these oh-so-simple tips and tricks!
Whether you’re satisfied with just a flick of kohl, or spend several minutes perfecting your eyeliner, making up the eyes is a major part of the everyday routine. Here are some tips to enhance the beauty of your eyes, no matter their size and shape. Start with a clean base. Ensure any remnants of previous makeup has been wiped off and that no part of the area around your eye is moist or sticky. If you’ve had a long day or a sleepless night, take ten minutes and put raw cucumber slices on your eyes before starting on makeup. Trust us, it makes a difference. Your eyes will be soothed and refreshed and look naturally brighter.
Big is beautiful
- Who doesn’t want larger, brighter, melting eyes that stand out. The trick with making your eyes dramatically big with a few simple makeup tips is to think of them as an accessory. That way, you’ll know how far to go, and when to put the brushes, and the colour, away.
- Use two different eye shadows from the same colour family to create dimension. Apply the lighter shade to the inner corners of your lids and darken as you go up and out. Focus on colouring the middle and outer edges to give definition to the wider part of your eyes
- If you’re using eyeliner, start from around three-fourths of the way into your eyelid and concentrate on the centre of the lash line. Don’t use liner on the inner corners as this makes the eyes look smaller.
- Try using shades of blue as this makes the whites of your eyes look brighter.
- Shimmer is a brilliant (pardon the pun) way to enhance your eyes. The science behind this is that the more light radiating off your eyes, the larger they appear. So go crazy (but not too much) with the gold and bronze.
- Your lashes add the necessary extra bit of drama to your get-up, so bring on the mascara. Use the centre of the wand to curl coat the tips of your lashes. Wait for a few minutes, then apply several more coats.
- So, you’re naturally doe-eyed and don’t want to overdo it. One of the kinks of large eyes is that they can take over your entire look, especially if you have a small face. However, there are ways to pull off a great natural look on your eyes without diminishing them.
- Use a highlighter shade, that’s the lightest shade on your eye shadow palate, all the way up to your brow bone.
- Experiment with dark colours on your lids. Think inky black, indigo, purple and so on. Blend well so that the colour is uniform.
- Line your eyes all the way. Use liquid liner on top and kohl on your lower lash line. Connect the two at the outer edge of the eye for greater definition. This gives a closing effect, making the eyes recede a little.
- Use a cotton bud to smudge your eyeliner a little. The thicker you make the lines, the smaller your eyes will look.
- The smoky look can be very effective if you don’t want to look too wide-eyed. Blend eye shadow in shades of charcoal and grey on your lids and keep your liner to a uniform length all across your eyes. Finish off with mascara.
FAB BAG PICKS
SUGAR Stroke Of Genius Heavy-Duty Kohl : Eye makeup can be tricky but a stroke of genius can put you at ease. Add to that intense black colour and soft creamy texture and you know you’ve been hooked for life. We’re on about SUGAR Stroke of Genius Heavy Duty Kohl – a waterproof Kohl pencil that can add pretty to your eyes in a single swipe. Its wax-based formula spreads evenly and lasts for up to 8 hours. Not just that, it comes with a free sharpener to ensure your eye makeup is always on point. CLICK HERE to view product
SoulTree Colour Kohl : Hand made carbon black collected from vegetable oil lamps combines with organic ghee (clarified butter) natural mineral colours and organic sweet almond oil to make this kohl safe and give it a colour that will highlight your eyes and keep them cool. CLICK HERE to view product