Published on January 11th, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
Perfect Pout Tips
We all want a sexy pout but there’s a line between attention-drawing lips and disastrous chops. Here are some commandments
Lipsticks Dos (and DON’TS)
- Match lip liner to lipstick or lips: Lipliners are there to keep the lipstick from feathering or bleeding out – they are not meant to make your lips look poutier than what they are. A lip liner darker than the shade of your lips (be it nude lips or ones wearing lipstick) resembles a child’s sketch-pen drawing. Kindly desist.
- Lip liner is to “line” the lips, not the beyond: Please, please, please do not try to “enlarge” your pout by going even that wee bit beyond your natural lip line. It looks 80s Bollywood and oh-so-gross!
- Cracked lips, OMG! If you do have cracked or dried lips, please refrain from using a dark lipstick. Actually, try not using a lipstick at all – stick to a healing balm or chapstick. The pigment will centre on all cracked and dry areas of your lips, highlighting the poor state they are in. Apply a thick layer of Boroline at night (we kid you not, it works wonders). In the morning, wipe off excess with tissue and then re-apply some Vaseline – exfoliate with a soft toothbrush for a really soft pout.
- Spotlight make-up, oh no! Okay, you love the red lips of your idol or the current trend of ox-blood. Great, be fashionably beautiful but do not go OTT with make-up. Wearing dark lips means you need to tone down the rest of your make-up. Flawless skin (reach for the BB cream or foundation), mascara, some light blush and your dark lipstick are all you need to look stunning.
- No caking please: Sometimes, it’s difficult to prevent lipstick from rubbing off on your glass or teeth, but it’s really important that you keep your lipstick where it belongs: on your lips. Even lipsticks that appear “wet” actually dry, so just be sure to allow your colour to dry before you layer on gloss or balm. If you have a gel type of lip color that rubs off easily, be conscious of that and be sure to dab it with a napkin before you go out for a drink lest it ends up on your glass or worse, on your teeth! For really viscous colours that don’t dry off fast – pat them with your compact to seal in the colour and then sure, raise that toast fearlessly…
FAB BAG PICKS
SUGAR It’s A-Pout Time! Vivid Lipstick: If you’ve been crushing over classic matte lips – the hottest lip trend on the runway – you’ll totally adore SUGAR It’s A-Pout Time! Vivid Lipstick. Creamy and moisturising, this lipstick combines the look of a classic matte lip with the benefit of incredible comfort. Enriched with micronized pigments and silica micro-beads, this matte lipstick glides on easily and settles to a gorgeous matte finish. CLICK HERE to view product
Sally Hansen Lip Inflation Extreme: If an enviable pout is what you are looking for, Sally Hansen’s lip plumper just might be the answer. Its intense formula supersizes the lips for hours. Its micro-spheres with exclusive hydro-collagen complex helps boost fullness and shine. Its formula, though spicy, enhances lips’s natural colour, giving healthier and pinker lips. CLICK HERE to view product
Bellapierre Mineral Lipstick: Bellapierre Mineral Lipsticks have been formulated with natural waxes and mineral pigments, iron oxides and antioxidants such as Vitamin C and Vitamin E. Our smooth, silky, 100% natural and formula delivers long-lasting nourishing color. The mineral pigments also provide natural protection from the sun. Mineral Lipsticks do NOT contain lead, lanolin, parabens, or other harmful ingredients. CLICK HERE to view product