Published on February 1st, 2017 | by Rima J Pundir
Beauty Benefits: Aloe Vera
What’s green, pulpy and slippery, grows in your backyard, and cures everything from hair loss, dry skin, acne, skin inflammation, wounds, stomach ailments to cancer? Answer: Aloe Vera! The use of aloe vera can be traced back to the ancient Egyptians from the times of Nephertiti and continues to be an integral part of alternative medicine up until present day. Known for its healing and soothing properties; researchers are still discovering more uses for this miraculous plant.
- An effective moisturiser: Aloe vera is an excellent moisturiser; it increases the skin’s ability to hydrate itself, aids in the removal of dead skin cells and penetrates deeply to provide nourishment deep within the pores.
- No more Botox: It can actively repair damaged skin cells that cause the visible signs of ageing, and has been found to reverse degenerative skin changes by stimulating collagen and elastin production.
- Soothe the burn: The plant is widely used to treat burns (including radiation burns and sun burn), soothe cuts and speed up healing of wounds.
- Wonder juice: Nutritionists around the world recommend the use of aloe juice to aid digestion, and treat symptoms of problems such as constipation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome and to rev up a sluggish metabolism.
- Ease the pain: Aloe Vera is believed to reduce severe joint and muscle pain associated with arthritis, as well injury-related pain. When applied directly to the affected area, it penetrates into the skin to alleviate the pain.
- Treat your scalp: Aloe vera is considered highly effective even for hair loss. It has anti-inflammatory properties and helps in fighting against alopecia, dandruff, psoriasis, and eczema. Owing to its rich protein content, it is super for dry and damaged hair.
- Lighten scars: Applying aloe extract directly over any scars – new or old – lightens them effectively.
Where to find the good stuff?
- Pluck a thick leaf (or two) from the outside of the plant, since the plant grows inside out.
- Wash and clean the leaf, and slice off about an inch from the top and bottom end of the leaf, and then neatly slice off the spiked edges on the sides
- Slice across the leaf (lengthwise), in to two equal halves to reveal the jelly-like interior.
- Now, using a spoon, scoop out the gel from the exposed leaf and store/place in a clean container. Be careful to scoop out as close to the skin of the leaf so as to not waste the gel.
- Store the gel in a closed container and refrigerate for future use.
Super Home remedies?
Aloe Vera Hair Conditioner:
What you need: ½ cup aloe extract, ½ cup olive oil, juice from half a lemon and a few drops of (any) essential oil
Directions: Extract half a cup of aloe juice by pureeing the gel obtained from the plant, and strain to remove impurities. Mix with olive oil, add lemon juice, and a few drops of essential oil, and apply this mixture on the hair, coating from root-to-tip, and use it to massage the scalp as well. Cover your hair in a shower cap. After an hour, shampoo and condition as usual.
Aloe Cure for Acne:
What you need: The aloe vera extract
Directions: Apply the gel directly on to the acne. Not only will it soothe the redness and swelling from the existing pimples, but will also heal old acne scars and skin lesions. Do not worry about using the sap reacting with your skin – it’s perfectly safe to use it directly on the skin.
Aloe and Olive Moisturiser:
What you need: Aloe vera gel and a little virgin olive oil
Directions: Mix aloe vera gel with a few tablespoons of virgin olive oil (we recommend Figaro), and store in a container. Use this excellent moisturiser morning and night for glowing, healthy, hydrated skin.
Fab Bag Picks:
Just Herbs Aloe Vera Facial Massage Gel: An intensive skin rejuvenating facial massage gel designed to nourish, hydrate and liven up dull and lifeless skin. Aloe vera inhibits the over production of enzymes responsible for the breakdown of the collagen-elastin matrix of the skin and provides protection against suns UV rays, clears away blemishes, while cucumbers restore the natural moisturising factor(NMF) by delivering vitamins and moisture to the deepest layers of sun-exposed skin. Aloevera and soy lecithin provides nourishment, stimulating the skins metabolic functions and combats free radicals to prevent the effects of oxidative skin damage. CLICK HERE to view product
Iba Halal Care Aloe Aqua Body Lotion: Skin that breathes remains pure. Iba’s refreshing Aloe Aqua formula is created to purify, soothe and hydrate your skin without clogging pores or forming a layer, leaving it oil-free, breathable, and healthy. Iba Aloe Aqua Body Lotion is a quick absorbing, non-greasy lotion that helps to restore skin’s natural moisture. With daily use, skin is calmed, soothed and nurtured back to its natural, healthy best. CLICK HERE to view product
Spa Ceylon Aloe Vera Mint Exfoliating Bar: A naturally revitalizing formula. Removes dead cells & rough patches. Protects from dryness & irritations. At bath time, massage all over hands & body. Wash off. CLICK HERE to view product