Published on February 2nd, 2017 | by Soma Priya
Tips & Tricks: Hand Care
Apart from a monthly manicure, your hands do need extra pampering lest they start showing signs of ageing. The skin on the back of our palm is thinner as compared to the other parts. With advancing age, cell rebuilding process slows down depleting collagen (which provides elasticity to the skin), resulting in fine lines and dryness. Since hands come in constant contact with chemicals (soaps and detergents), pollution (dirt and smoke) and environment (sun and wind); their care is of utmost importance.
One to ten
- Scrub off: Exfoliation helps to remove the dead cells and increases blood circulation giving way to soft and younger looking skin. An effective weekly scrub can be made by mixing 2 tablespoons olive oil in 1 spoon of granular sugar. Gently scrub on this mixture till sugar dissolves and wash off with warm water. Apply a thick moisturizer.
- A little TLC: Your hands need their weekly massage too. Massaging improves blood circulation and also restores the softness of the skin. A homemade massage lotion can be prepared by mixing 2 tablespoons glycerin with half tablespoon each of lemon juice and rose water. With circular motion massage both the hands and nail cuticles for 15 minutes. Wipe with warm cloth and apply moisturizer.
- A lemon in hand: If your hands show dark patches, it is likely that they have pigmented cells caused by excessive exposure to sun. Try rubbing lemon wedge and you would be surprised to notice even tone within few days.
- Moisturize: Moisturize your hands at least twice everyday with a cream that contains alpha hydroxyl acids or AHAs, lactic acids and hydrating urea.
- Beauty masks: Beauty masks are excellent way to keep the skin tight and firm. A whacky but highly recommended hand mask can be prepared by mixing warm milk with boiled and mashed potato and applying over hands till the paste cools off. Wash and apply your favorite moisturizer.
- Always SPF: Just like your face, your hands need sunscreen of SPF more than 20 – reapply every time you wash.
- The ‘M’ of moisture: After the SPF fix, apply moisturizer. Keep a jar of moisturizer handy in your purse or near your wash basin. also, that anti-ageing cream that you use on your face, spare a little for your hands too – they will thank you later, by looking young.
- No drying soaps: Go for mild moisturizing soaps or creamy hand washes to retain moisture. Also, make sure the hand sanitizers are kept to a minimum – the alcohol content dries out the skin!
- Drink ample water: Water will keep your skin hydrated from inside out. Ensure calcium and vitamins in your diet – vitamin A, C and E are a must to maintain healthy skin and nails.
- Manicure: Treating your nails with a good manicure helps them stay good and healthy.
OUR PICKS FOR BEAUTIFUL HANDS
Spa Ceylon Cardamom Rose Hand Cream: A natural revitalizing treatment enriched with vitamin-rich Sweet Almond, Wheat germ & Virgin Coconut to moisturise nourish & help care for dry rough skin. Protects hand & helps preserve youthfulness.Soothes, softens & smoothens for total hand care. Warming Ceylon cardamom & Himalayan Rose help invigorating & delight the senses. CLICK HERE to view product
SeaSoul Dead Sea Hydrating- Hand & Body Lotion: This Hand and Body Lotion is a light, Velvety and hydrating moisturizer. This luxurious Dead Sea Minerals-Moroccan Argan formulation leaves the skin silky-smooth & well moisturized. CLICK HERE to view product
Votre Invigorating Orange Hand & Foot Gel Scrub: A good massage and a scrub to the tired hands and feet is just what you need from time to time for relaxing. The invigorating orange hand and foot Gel scrub is enriched with oils and has almond scrub in it. It offers SPA protection and also is a gentle exfoliator. CLICK HERE to view product